Snow Leopard Trash Emptying

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aaeyers, Sep 23, 2009.

1. aaeyers macrumors newbie

Ever since I updated to Snow Leopard, it takes a good 5+ minutes for the Trash to empty, regardless of what is in it. I am not trying to securely empty it, and I don't have thousands of files in it; just deleting one text file takes a multiple minutes. I didn't have this problem before I installed Snow Leopard.

Has anyone else had this problem, or know how to fix it?

2. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hmm, I've found my only option is to "secure" empty trash, even when I just select empty trash from the dock, it does a secure empty trash... I can't think of any other thing.

Kind Regards

3. TommyCo macrumors member

Secure emptying trash can be changed to 'non-secure' emptying with a checkbox in your finder advanced preferences.

As for taking 5+ mins to empty a text file from the trash... Have you checked the HD? That sounds a bit weird to me.

4. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

I have this same problem. Granted, it doesn't take 5+ minutes when I only have a few things in there, but it does take a lot longer than secure empty did under Leopard, in my situation atleast. When I was removing Photoshop CS4 to re-install, I waited 10 minutes and it still hadn't emptied everything using secure empty. I switched it to normal empty, and it was done in less than 30 seconds.

As much as it sucks, I am glad that I'm not the only one having this issue. I'll have to check out the Apple discussion threads to see if anyone else is reporting this.

5. katmarie24 macrumors newbie

Same Problem, un-checked Secure, it's fixed

I had the same problem. But it wouldn't take 5+ minutes, it would take more like 30 minutes to delete a few movie files. I followed the instructions and un-checked the "secure empty" from the Advanced Finder Preferences. That completely fixed the problem.

Kat

6. emt1 macrumors 65816

Secure erase is going to take longer. That is not a bug.

7. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I believe secure erase sets all the data in the disk to 0, unlike a normal erase which doesn't do anything to it.

Secure erase will take a LONG time. Normal erase shouldn't be long at all.

Kind Regards

8. Tyr. macrumors member

Try to completely remove the trash folder from your homedir. I will be recreated automatically. In terminal :

Code:
    sudo rm -rf /Users/YourUserName/.Trash
    That should take care of any corrupted files that may have snuck in there. As always be VERY careful when using rm !

You might also have a slow external drive or network drive with a trash folder on it which is slow to contact.

9. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

This is the solution to your problem.... Snow Leopard default is to secure empty the trash so you need to turn it off if you want quick trash emptying...

10. Zerozal macrumors 6502

Yup--turning off "Empty Trash securely" should solve the problem.

Attached Files:

11. almac68 macrumors member

almac68

OP did an update install on his mac. I am guessing not a clean install. Might the clean install route help? I find SL works better as a clean install as oppose to an upgrade from previous version.