Snow Leopard Update confusion - $29 full version?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kdum8, Nov 27, 2010.

1. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

I am finally going to install Snow Leopard today on my MBP. Currently I am running Leopard 10.5.8. My intention is to install a new larger hard disk at the same time, replacing the current 250GB drive I have, and then do a clean install of Snow Leopard onto the new 750GB Hard Disk. I am about to go out and buy the $29 version of Snow Leopard but will this work?

I notice that there was a lot of confusion when Snow Leopard came out as to whether the $29 disk was the full version or just an upgrade disk. I have searched around but there seems to be a lot of conflicting advice. What's the story? :confused:

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That will work fine, as there is only one retail disk (no upgrade/full version differentiation). If for some strange reason the computer doesn't like that, just use your gray restore disk that came with the computer and install that and upgrade to snow leopard. You really shouldn't have to do that though.

3. kdum8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdum8

OK thanks for the info! I'll get on and re-install once I get back from the Apple store.

4. gorjan macrumors 6502

Yes, the $29 is the full version.

5. ZenErik macrumors 6502

It's the full version.

Apple also claimed that you need to upgrade from Leopard (not anything below it) for Snow Leopard, but that isn't the case. Supposedly, it's in the license agreement that you need to be upgrading from Leopard, but they'll never know (or really care).

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

7. larkost macrumors 6502a

This is not something Apple "claims", but rather requires. Doing anything else is illegal, and against the agreement that allows you to use the software. It is true that Apple probably will not go after individuals that violate this, but that in no way diminishes the requirement. Violating this agreement is illegal an imoral. There really is no way of getting around this.

But, since the original poster has 10.5 on the computer already, it would seem that they are right on the money on this one, and the $29 offer is exactly what they need.

For the record, Apple does have a combo pack including MacOS X, iLife, and iWork that does explicitly allow 10.4 upgrades. This is a good deal even if you are not buying the two other packages, since it is less than 10.5 + 10.6.

8. kdum8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdum8

I went ahead and made the upgrade and am now on 10.6. All went well, no problems.

The Apple store employee did actually ask me though if I currently had 10.4 or 10.5... would have been interesting if I said only 10.4 and he refused to sell it to me. ;)