Snow Leopard update - like a Windows "in-place" upgrade? Or clean?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by btownguy, Jul 15, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking of buying my first Mac ever pretty soon. I can get an educational discount and also get a free iPod Touch if I buy before September 15. I understand that Snow Leopard will be available "in September" so I will have to receive it separately if I buy my Mac between now and then.

So, I've never owned Macs before, so I'm wondering how the upgrade from Leopard -> Snow Leopard will happen. Is it like Windows where you can choose to do a "clean installation" or an "in-place" upgrade? Coming from the Windows world, I tend to lean more towards clean installations.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You'll have three options: upgrade, archive and install, and erase and install.

3. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

So the entire OS will be on the disc, correct? I'm sorry if these are stupid questions - I've never owned a Mac before.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes. Although, no one is sure how the $29 upgrade disc will work for sure yet. It may check for Leopard before it installs.

5. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's the same situation as with the Windows 7 upgrade disc - nobody knows for sure. But with the SL disc - if I do a "erase and install", does that format the drive and then install a clean SL installation?

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, it does.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Of the three options available--simple upgrade, archive and install, and clean install--go with simple upgrade. This is the simplest, safest, and the one that Apple wants you to use. The other two options are intended as repair options for vexing problems. Lacking a vexing problem with your system, nothing is to be gained by more radical upgrades. To the contrary, it takes a lot of time to restore your system to its previous working state if you choose a radical upgrade.

8. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

But a more radical upgrade is a true OS installation, correct? Here's kind of my plan:

1) Buy MBP now with Leopard and get Snow Leopard disc for $9.95 when it comes out in September.
    2) Use MBP now, not as my primary computer, getting used to it and learning all the ins and outs of OSX as compared to Windows. Try things out - install stuff, uninstall stuff. Play with settings - just go crazy learning things.
    3) On October 22, install Windows 7 on my home desktop and build it up as a gaming machine only.
    4) On October 22, install Snow Leopard on the MBP completely fresh (format/install). Then begin using this as my primary computer for all tasks other than gaming.