Snow Leopard upgrade advice

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Razorhog, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Razorhog, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

My iMac is a first gen 24", bought in 2006. It has served me well, but has been running kind of slow lately. I've never reinstalled the OS, and I'm currently running 10.5.8. It has a 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2GB of 667 MHz DDR2.
    I've recently wanted to do a couple of things that require Snow Leopard, and I thought I might upgrade. Will Snow Leopard speed things up a bit? Maybe I should do a "clean" install? I'm scared to do the clean install because of all the time I've put into iTunes, iPhoto, and various other programs. I should add that I do have a time machine backup drive. Any advice?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Do you back up regularly?

3. Razorhog thread starter macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Yes - sorry just added that info about having an external hard drive for time machine.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I would say go for it. It's extremely simple to do. Just pop in the disc and follow the instructions! Then back up again immediately after updating.

I would try doing a fresh install before buying SN if you dont want to buy it. Theres tons of youtube videos on how to do it. Jut make sure you have the install disc that came with your mac in 06

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If you have TimeMachine backups, you can upgrade to SL, if it's quirky, do a clean install and restore from your backups...

6. Razorhog thread starter macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll give it a shot!

7. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I would think his 06 discs would be Tiger? Might not want to use those. I'm guessing you bought Leopard and upgraded rather than clean installed.

8. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

Also, something to do would be to upgrade the RAM to 4GB or more. 2GB is enough to run Snow Leopard, but not very well.

It may be pretty hard to upgrade the RAM in that machine, though; I'm not entirely sure.

9. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I think mine is a year newer iMac and it maxes out at 3 GB.

10. Razorhog thread starter macrumors 65816

Razorhog

That is true - I upgraded to Leopard.