Snow Leopard Upgrade CD Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SChaput, Jun 28, 2009.

1. SChaput macrumors regular

I currently have a mid 2007 macbook pro that originally came with the Tiger OS. I have since upgraded to Leopard. I'm planning on buying a newer model macbook pro in the near future, probably while Leopard is still the default OS. I'm planning on wiping my old macbook pro, installing tiger, and giving it to a family member.

Im curious, after i get my new MBP and use the up to date program to get the snow leopard CD, will i be able to install snow leopard on my new MBP & upgrade the old one from tiger to snow leopard?

Thanks for your help!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Legally, no. 1 license, 1 machine.

It may not even be technically possible either, since we still don't know how the upgrade from Leopard to SL will work ... i.e. any type of eligibility checking.

3. SChaput thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting. However, if the upgrade eligibility is anything like past OS upgrade CD's it would be possible?

Hypothetically speaking of course. :)

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There's the rub ... this upgrade is nothing like any other.

For Leopard users, the upgrade is $29 ... and it leads me to believe they will add some kind of check on those discs ...

The Up-to-date $10 discs are probably the exact same discs ... since every Mac that is eligible will have Leopard.

Are you following my logic, or do I need to lay off the coffee for a minute?

5. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

I have 3 Macs and didn't really understand the whole SL deal. If I buy SL (which I will) what is stopping me from having it on each of the Macs (other than the EULA)? :confused:

6. moez macrumors regular

your honesty ;)

7. SChaput thread starter macrumors regular

The family member that i'm giving my mac too, would be fine running leopard. To avoid any controversy maybe i will just clean out my system of all my person files and applications, leaving the OS as is.

What do you think is the best way for me to remove all files retaining to me besides manually removing it all, and personalize its new owner? Is there some sort of program i can download to refresh everything? harddrive name, accounts, etc?