Snow Leopard, upgrade now or later?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Joemero, Sep 9, 2009.

  1. Joemero macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2009
    #1
    How many of you are just fine using 10.5.8 and find no need to upgrade to Snow Leopard? This reminds me of the company I work for which has all company PCs running on XP and refuses to upgrade any company computer to Vista for the time being. I know, I know, Mac OS is way better...but I've read about incompatibility issues and it makes me wonder, what's the worst that can happen if I decide to wait a good 3-4 months to do the upgrade?
     
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #2
    Wait for 10.6.2 discs to be pressed and sent to retail.
     
  3. Joemero thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2009
    #3
    But will I have to pay full price for it since I already ordered the $9.95 10.6.1 upgrade? I bought my MBP last month. Wouldn't updates be available online to bring 10.6.1 up-to-date?
     
  4. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2009
    #4
    Your wife will have spent the $30 you saved on shoes.
     
  5. Joemero thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2009
    #5
    Well I think, I'm going to wait then, I love the way my mac is working now anyway. Who else is NOT going to upgrade?
     
  6. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #6
    I love snow leopard, it's fast and smooth. I'm very happy with the upgrade.
     
  7. Joemero thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2009
    #7
    Did you upgrade on top of Leopard or wiped your hard drive and did a full install?
     
  8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

    Bill Gates

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #8
    If you don't have the itch to upgrade then I would advise to wait until 10.6.1 at the earliest. 10.6 is very stable and compatible with most applications, but it has a few issues that will hopefully be worked out in one or two incremental updates. When that happens, just install SL using your upgrade disc and run Software Update after having logged in for the first time. With Apple already testing 10.6.1, it should be out the door fairly soon.

    If you like being on the cutting-edge of software, then by all means go ahead and upgrade. Snow Leopard doesn't have any major incompatibilities with any of the software that I personally use, but check to make sure that it's the same story on your end before you take the plunge. Snow Leopard is overall a high-quality release.
     
  9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #9
    I tried both and I've had problems on both.
     
  10. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #10
    On my MBP (specs in sig) I did a clean install, but that's because of the 3 years worth of accumulated crap I needed to get rid of. On my sister's UMB I did an upgrade. Both went smoothly and with noticeable improvements.
     
  11. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

    Angelo95210

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2009
    Location:
    Paris, France
    #11
    I am not willing to install it... my imac flies and i fear some incompatibilities...
     

Share This Page