Snow Leopard Upgrade on a 2008 Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zacme, Jul 4, 2012.

1. zacme macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I was wondering if I upgrade my 2008 mac to the Snow Leopard from the Leopard software, will help my computer run better?

Please list the reasons I should upgrade from leopard to snow leopard? I'd like to keep my 2008 macbook until I can afford to buy a new mac. So go on and tell me why its better to upgrade? Will upgrading on this 2008 computer save energy? Pretty much, I'd like to see what tricks I can do with this 2008 macbook until it breaks and I can get a real job.

Z

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Snow Leopard is generally better behaved and you'll probably find it faster as well.

it's also a good idea from a software compatibility point of view - a lot of software now requires Snow Leopard or later.

3. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Here are some good reasons to upgrade to Mac OS X Snow leopard.

a) Snow leopard has security enhancements over leopard.
    b) Snow leopard has the App store :D
    c) Snow leopard is totally supported by Apple right now
    d) Snow leopard takes full advantage of your macs 64 bit processor
    e) it's only $30

4. xStep macrumors 68000

c) Not really. Apple hasn't done a system update to it for some time now. The current version of OS X is Lion and Mountain Lion will be here this month.

d) I thought you had to do something to get the 64 bit side of it depending on your Mac. Lion on the other hand is _only_ 64 bit. That's why I'm stuck on Snow Leopard.

Zacme, check if Mountain Lion will run on your machine. That upgrade will only be $20. Oh, darn, you'll have to first upgrade to Snow Leopard. Apple had a free offer for that recently for users of the now defunct Mobile Me. Perhaps they will do another such offer to encourage everyone who can to upgrade to ML. The reason you need SL is so you can connect to the Mac App Store to purchase and download the newer OS's.

Software developers are starting to ignore even Snow Leopard. I have one or two apps that I can no longer upgrade because the upgrades require Lion which I can't run.

The only thing I'd be concern with is with software you rely on that may not work on the newer system. For instance, Protools is known to qualify their software for certain versions of the OS because of how sensitive it is to OS changes. There was web page listing software compatible with the Lion upgrade. Search it out if this is a concern for you.

5. zacme thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Alright guys. Thanks for the information. I like the responses. When I get enough money to order snow leopard, I will update my computer. And I will see if Lion can be installed as well.