Snow Leopard: Upgrade or Clean Install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by roland.g, Sep 2, 2009.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

In the past I have always believed in and done clean installs.

But it is also a bit of a pain. Is it worth it for Snow Leopard or just do an upgrade install? After I do a TM backup of course.

2. rfrankl macrumors 6502

Quite a few other threads that will give you plenty of opinions.

3. kolax macrumors G3

I did an upgrade to start with and felt the OS being a bit sluggish etc.

So I did a clean install and exact same kind of sluggish/trackpad feels a little bit non responsive too.

4. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I wanted to do a clean install initially, but I clicked too soon and it upgraded instead. So far it seems the upgrade was flawless, everything is faster.

5. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

Upgrading was never my thing. Even though I've very little experience with OS X.

6. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Upgrade gave me Sleep issues, so i did a clean install, and had to stay away from iGetter (that's what i figured was causing my sleep problem). May be a compatibility issue with SL.
    I'm glad i did the Clean install now, because i can definitely see a difference.

7. snakesqzns macrumors regular

snakesqzns

Do a clean install. You'll be better prepared for when you roll back to Leopard. ;)

8. jermsmingy macrumors regular

Do the upgrade

I used to always do clean installs, but after seeing how the installer changed I decided to just upgrade. It was completely painless and everything is faster. I've yet to encounter a single issue.

9. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Just out of curiosity - everyone who done a clean install, what formatting option did you use?

Does it matter that I went for the 'case sensitive journaled' option?

10. kolax macrumors G3

I zeroed out all data.

And I'd avoid case sensitive journaled - can cause problems with some apps.

11. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

It was a bad idea. Many things will simply not work on a case sensitive file system. There are very few situations where one would need case sensitivity. If you are in one of those situations, you know what to pick.

You should think about going to Extended Journaled. This will require a reinstall.

12. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Oh darn.

Cheers, will reformat it in the morning. Could possibly be why my Logitech mouse scroll button is acting up big time.

Ta

13. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

I upgrade on all my macs. No issues whatsoever.

The only things I did prior is to uninstall all incompatible apps (candybar, quicksilver, flip4mac etc), and upgraded them to SNOW LEOPARD compatibles after the upgrade, fixed permissions (twice), repair disk from the OS disk.

Systems ran a tab faster after I perform all these. As far as I'm concerned, there isn't a need to do a clean install unless you are having system problems beforehand.