Snow Leopard upgrade question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by santaji, Oct 12, 2009.

1. santaji macrumors member

santaji

Will i need my Leopard CD during the installation?

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

No.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

4. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

probably yes. because theres a change snow leopard will just bork your upgrade.

5. santaji thread starter macrumors member

santaji

6. iceman575 macrumors newbie

Can you use the SL upgrade disk on Tiger? I have two machines, one with Tiger and one with Leopard, so I didnt waste the purchase either way, I am just curious if I can save some dough by installing the cheap $29 upgrade on Tiger.

7. devburke Guest

Not legally.

8. iceman575 macrumors newbie

9. devburke Guest

a) The fact that you are installing on two machines, and you only paid for a license for one.

b) The fact that you bought the disc at the discounted Leopard upgrade price. You're only licensed to use it to upgrade a Leopard machine.

To be honest, you can technically do it with pretty much zero chance of getting caught, but you will be in breach of the license in more ways than one.

10. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Well, "legally" means that the $29 Snow Leopard Upgrade is licensed for upgrading a Leopard-based computer ONLY. Either one that came with Leopard or one that you paid the $129 to buy Leopard for.

If you want to "Legally" upgrade your Tiger based Intel Mac (like my Mac Pro1.1 and Mac Mini), then you need to purchase the Snow Leopard Box Set which comes with iLife and iWork.

Will the $29 "Upgrade" Disk upgrade Tiger directly? These people seem to think so: http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._leopard_disc_will_install_on_tiger_macs.html

Yes, you would save some money. But it's not technically legal. Also you'd be missing out on iLife 09 and iWork 09 which come in the Box set.
    "Legal" probably is not important to you if you're asking the question in the first place, but you did...

Have Fun,
    Keri

PS. "Legal" is often interpreted to mean: "Software companies will prosecute you if you are using copied or mis-licensed software in a business environment but will leave home users alone". But I wouldn't bet a huge amount of money on that.

PPS. I enjoy sending money to Companies that trust me to do the right thing. Like Apple. (no serial or activation, remember?)
    So I've got all my Leopard and Snow Leopard bought and paid for on both machines.