Snow Leopard upgrade Question?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by partyBoy, Nov 8, 2009.

1. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

hello mac heads...i am running TIGER in my MAC but i was thinking to upgrade to snow leopard,i wanted to know if do i just install snow leopard on top of tiger or do have to uninstall tiger then install snow leopard plus i heard that i need certain amount of ram to install snow leopd and where on my mac do look for how much ram i currently have and i do not want to lose my music on my itunes,thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. flanamac macrumors 6502

You can install it clean, regardless of what OS you are currently running since Snow Leopard is not Snow + Leopard; it is a full running OS. I recommend that you have at least 2GB RAM, and if you can max out higher than that, do it. I have 8GB in my MB Pro, but our other machine only has 3GB, but runs SL fine. Both are dual core Intel machines and is a requirement so that earlier models non-Intel based are out of luck, I believe.

I was in the same boat, with our desktop machine running TIGER, so I installed on a clean hard disk; I didn't UPGRADE. This way Snow Leopard didn't have to utilize current settings, etc..., I started from scratch and never had any problems.

Make a note of all your applications, settings, etc..., then insert the SL disk and restart and install fresh, deleting everything on your current disk. If you have Time Machine, or some ability to close your Tiger volume, DO IT. Just a smart thing to do.

Also, always have a backup startup volume externally, or internally if you have a second hard drive; after you see that SL works fine, you can replace your backup volume with the SL volume so that you can startup with the same settings and applications, etc... and keep moving. Update your backup volume once a month in case you add applications or change significant settings like where your iTunes library is located.

That should help.

3. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Then don't install Snow Leopard until 10.6.2 is out. There is a bug that deletes all your data.

4. celticpride678

That bug is only if you use Guest accounts and is not wide spread.

5. flanamac macrumors 6502

Agreed. Again, I suggest you do a clean install, as is best with any upgrade in OS. I would bet that the guest account problem only occurs when you do not do a fresh install, but this is only a guess.

6. partyBoy thread starter macrumors 68000

partyBoy

what are you trying to say?-put good answers please

7. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I deleted the message.

I was going to say, that it appeared you wanted to do an Upgrade, not an Erase and then install 10.6. In that case, you should NOT upgrade because 10.6.2 was not out, and the delete data bug was still present, with no one knowing exactly how it is triggered. (We still don't know, because Apple wants to keep all potential members of a class action from coming together.)

But now, 10.6.2 is out. So that bug is not an issue, as long as you update FIRST THING after installing 10.6. From the forum posts, many of the other bugs are not fixed yet, so the wait for 10.6.3 has already begun.