Snow Leopard Upgrade (some minor issues)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MWPULSE, Oct 21, 2009.

1. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Hi Everyone,
    So i finally bit the bullet n bought-upgraded my MBP (non uni) to SL. I Have been having some minor issues (i think) mainly revolving around the keychain n permissions i think.

Whenever i log into either of my 2 accounts (admin, and normal user) i get a pop up window with 3 options "my keychain has been updated, would i like to do" I can choose, continue log in, create new password, or use old password, I choose the old password one, cos i know it n all that. n i find everything works fine. All is dandy.

Only thing is, that my login items dont come up, i have installed last.fm, growl, and maintenance, and also onyx. I set growl and last.fm up to open up on login automatically, and they arent there in the window>under accounts.

Also i have copied my itunes/iphoto librarys back off my Time Machine backup. My Itunes library works fine, synced fine with my iphone, and sent stuff to growl/last.fm (when i opened them up) but nothing was going on with my iphoto library. Its a blank slate- i have to start from scratch (re add all photos ~4000 odd) which is a pain.

On the flipside i have login items on my admin account which open up fine. So its not my install- i had to do a clean install- cos i had it as a Apple Partition- not GUID (uhoh!! my bad!! lol :)

Also as a quick side note, but mail wont start. Each time i open it, i have to enter my info, it starts checking my SMTP.mail or whatever it is, n then quits. pop goes the weasel its gone!

i imagine that its sommat to do with permissions or cache. but not sure where to start!... I cleaned the whole computer out using onyx, went through all the various bits n bobs, internet cache, user cache, preferences, permissions repair. But nothing.

Im gonna start a new account n see if i can get that to play ball.. n will come check back for all your lovely replies :) (oooo im excited...well not that excited but you get the jist)

Cheeers in advance :)

PTP

2. MWPULSE thread starter macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

actually scratch that, after creating a new account all issues were resolved. :)

..mods do with this thread- if it could be called that, as you will :)

PTP

3. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Actually im having a similar problem. Since i upgraded to Snow Leopard it wont back up any recent photos in time machine. It backs up photos that i imported before i did a clean install but anything imported after i switched to SL just appears blank. Now iPhoto recognises that a photo is supposed to be there as the tile is there and the photo name appears at the bottom left but the tile itself is blank.

I would advice everyone to activate time machine and select their photo library and select open package contents to see if recent photos have been backed up. Im running iPhoto 09 with all updates

4. whyrichard macrumors 68000

it's a serious problem. i've lost trust in my mac, loosing important personal photos! snow leopard has burned up countless hours of troubleshooting, backing up, making sure everything is there... creating new accounts, changing permissions... etc etc etc.

r.

5. MWPULSE thread starter macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

well when i first joined the leopard train, it was already on 10.5.4 which is what my MBP came with, so i dont know how to compare it with.. but as with all new releases particularly ones that have new frameworks written and embedded very heavily into the core structure of the OS-a la GCD and OpenGL/CL you gotta be ready to get the disks out and have a whack at it..

its like train companies.. (here in the U.K at least) the timetable means almost diddly squat, cos they are rubbish, the train companies advertise times to get from A-B thru C.. but for the most part thats just to make it look impressive. The same thing happens with every OS re-writes, and program re-writes to a certain extent.. not to bash apple or SL, i think both are great, i love SL. But sometimes patience is required i guess while they iron out the kinks.

:)