Snow Leopard upgrade will not recognize iPhone or iPod

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by resjr67, Mar 23, 2011.

1. resjr67 macrumors newbie

Seriously frustrated. I've tried everything I can and I've noticed there are several blogs about the same problem. I have an iPhone 3G that I've never had a problem syncing until I upgraded the operating system on my MAC G5 to Snow Leopard.
    I've reinstalled iTunes, used the install CD to include all the extras, but when I hook up my iPhone it charges but is never detected by iTunes. I've noticed other blogs where this has been an issue for over a year and there's no patch yet? Something is nit right. Any help would be appreciated....:mad:

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

When you reinstalled iTunes, did you do it like this? There are several helper apps/files that also have to be removed, or you wont get a "clean" install.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1224

3. resjr67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just completed the clean install per the instructions and still no joy. The only thing is I did not have the "com.apple.itunes" files listed to delete. Any ideas?

4. edogyip macrumors member

You have probably already tried this, but I thought I'd suggest it anyway. Have you tried another cord from your iphone/ipod to the computer? I had one that worked one day and the next it quit. No reason, it just doesn't work any longer.

5. resjr67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, tried that too. I'm amazed how many people have this issue and yet there's still no patch or fix. Very strange.

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Hate to be nitpicky but something you posted caught my eye. You have a Mac with a G5 processor and are somehow running 10.6 on there? Did you use Target Disk Mode to trick the OS into thinking it was being installed on supported hardware? Also, when you reinstalled iTunes, did you redownload it from Apple's website or from an install DVD?

7. resjr67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it's upgraded from the original 10.5 that it came with in 2008. I have the 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 10GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM memory.
    Nothing special to install the 10.6, just went to the Apple Store and purchased the upgrade disk ($30 I believe). As long as you have the Intel processor you are fine.
    However, there are a LOT of people with the same iTunes issue after the upgrade so be forewarned. Other than that, Snow Leopard is EXCELLENT and I would still do the upgrade because I know there will be a fix (or I'll just go get the iPhone 4) lol ;)

8. resjr67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved

Ok, finally. There were two problems that I will share just in case someone else has this issue.

FIRST: I did ANOTHER re-install of iTunes because I failed to delete the .pkg files the first time. Now I know I had a truly clean install of iTunes.

SECOND: The USB cord (that worked before) still made the "charging" sound when hooked up but would not sync. This was a cord I bought that was longer so it could neatly connect to the back of my G5 and run neatly to the top of my desk. It WAS NOT an original Apple iPhone cord, and just for kicks I hooked the original (shorter) cord to the computer and "viola", it worked.

Not sure shy the other cord worked before and not after the Snow Leopard install, but never assume all is well and try every option when you're baffled with something like this.

THANK YOU to those that provided hints and suggestions, it is appreciated! :D

9. lrichea macrumors newbie