snow leopard upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sOwL, Aug 18, 2008.

1. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

i got 2 questions abut upgrading to snow leopard as soon as it ships:
    1) Can i upgrade directly from tiger?
    2) When i bought my mac it already had iLife in it (and in the restore dvd). What if i upgrade to snow leopard? Will i still have iLife? And if i do, will i still have the old one coz the new one will need to be bought?

:confused:

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, you can upgrade directly from Tiger.

iLife is not part of the OS.

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

1. yep

2. iLife wont be included in snow leopard same as in leopard ( Retail )

4. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

so will my current copy of iLife just vanish??

edit: meh, nevermind, i just realised that i dont even need any of the iLife applications. I got a better alternative for each of them already

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No if you do an upgrade install all your existing apps will still be there. If you do a clean install you can use the restore DVD that shipped with your machine to re-install the bundled software including iLife.

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Only downside to this i presume is one it's better to do a fresh install of a new OS and two iLife 09 should or might be out by then

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I always do a fresh install for a new OS and then copy all my data back from backups. For most apps this works fine, although MS Office and Adobe CS apps tend to prefer being reinstalled...

8. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

ah... i think that too but it will be so hard.. so many stuff and settings... so many programs etc. Well i got a year to think about it :p and like i edited to my previous post, f*ck iLife, im getting Toast 9 Titanium, i already use dreamweaver for years, so the only thing i could miss is iPhoto. Still though, i got an alternative for that. Well who knows, i might get rich next year and get a whole bunch of stuff for my precious little mac pro :p

9. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

good point about Adobe stuff as my work are hopefully going to be getting me one of their suits the webdesign master one or something like that, so i think i might hold that off for abit. I'm only just trying to get my head round this webdesign lark i've tried iWeb and found it Ok ish but have recently been trying rapidweaver which is nice but progressing to dreamweaver, flash etc does seem like a steep learning curve

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The thing to remember about clean installs and Adobe CS is to de-activate CS before doing the install. You only get 2 activations at a time and if you forget to deactivate before you wipe the OS you have to jump through lots of Adobe hoops to get that activation removed :(

11. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Thank's rob i'll keep that in mind, but like i said i've got my head round the basics and made a few sites with iWeb & rapidweaver but this dreamweaver stuff looks all greek at present