Snow leopard upgrades WWDC etc

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by amazingdave, May 7, 2009.

1. amazingdave macrumors newbie

Ok,

So my current macbook is hanging on by a thread, and I am worried that it is not going to make it until Snow Leopard comes out.

Last time around they gave everyone who had recently purchased a mac a really cheap upgrade, anyone heard anything about if this is likely to happen this year?

I'm also thinking there might be a pretty good chance of a slight hardware modification. I don't wanna get screwed and buy now and miss a better price, hardware, or software in a month.

Anyone else in the same boat? I'm trying to wait, but I cant be without computer if mine dies, and it would be a lot easier to move my files directly to a new laptop rather than have this one die!

2. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Whats wrong with your macbook?

Have you tried Onyx if its running slow?
    Monolingual will free up 4+Gb's of space for your hard drive?
    Faster hard drive upgrade?
    More Ram?
    Clean install of OSX?

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You usually get the OS for shipping costs only, if you buy a Mac after the release date for the new OS has been announced (usually 30 days). I can't see 10.6 out until August/September.

4. amazingdave thread starter macrumors newbie

It's hardware problems. Started with the fan, but I didn't take care of it and now I am pretty sure that the CPU is not functioning properly. Lots of freezes, skips, stalls. Which especially sucks if you are trying to do a lot of screencasting....

The problems are my own fault, I was doing something stupid, I'm fine for paying for a new one and had planned to upgrade anyway. just trying to make it stretch a little further.

I think I'm just going to order a new one today. I'm fine with buying the OS upgrade, I just dont like the idea that they might bump up the hardware specs a little bit when they release Snow Leopard. Thats what happened when I bought this one, I got my Leopard upgrade for just the cost of shipping but they bumped up the hardware specs at the same time. So I could have got a little more for my money, but thats always the case, and I am sure that they designed the current gen laptops with the OS update in mind.