Snow Leopard version on retail disc?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bkpr, Feb 17, 2012.

1. bkpr macrumors member

Hi. I'm having trouble finding out what version of Snow Leopard comes on the retail disc. I've read the 'family pack' is 10.6.3. I'm hoping to find a 10.6.4+ so I can install on my 5,1 Mac Pro.

Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance…

2. BreakGuy, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

My MacBook Pro came with the 10.6.7 installation disc. I'm pretty sure Apple only sell the latest versions of their software. It may pay to call Apple and ask, just to make sure.

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Not sure about the retail version. But thankfully I have 10.6.4 on the OEM disk set that came with my mid 2010 MBP.

After all that I've read this week regarding the OS X follies, suddenly those disks are worth more to me than I would have ever imagined.

With 10.6.8, 8GB, and a 512GB SSD my MBP has become the most valuable Mac I've ever owned... :D

4. bkpr thread starter macrumors member

Anything I can find online just says '10.6'. The disc I currently have is 10.6.0, but I bought that way back when. My Mac Pro 5,1 came with no install disc/nerdstick of any kind :(

I'd like to secure a 10.6.4+ disc because 10.7 (and 10.8) scare me a little.

5. njaremka macrumors 6502

if you load 10.6.0, just run software update before loading anything else and it will run you right up to the latest 10.6 version. i dont see what the big deal is?

6. bkpr thread starter macrumors member

My understanding is that if I insert the 10.6 disc, it will throw me the 'this software is incompatible with your mac' error (or however it's worded). This webpage seems to back up that theory.

Maybe I'll throw in a spare drive this weekend and give your suggestion a test run. I have the combo 10.6.8 updater dmg already. I'll report back.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

None of the retail disks ever shipped with anything later than 10.6.3. Call Apple and ask for replacement disks for your machine, should only cost about $10.

jW

8. bkpr thread starter macrumors member

After two phone calls and several 'please holds' totalling more than 30 minutes (!!!), I was told by a senior adviser that the retail install disc available from the online and actual stores would install on my Mac Pro — despite never telling me what version it has — so I could just go out an buy it (which I'm ok to do).

Or, he said, he could send me a 'retail' disc with 10.6.4 on it for free.
    I took the second option :)

I expect he means the grey discs that originally shipped with the 5,1 Mac Pros, but I'll wait and see.