Snow Leopard very slow and no free space

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brainwave89, May 19, 2010.

1. brainwave89 macrumors 6502

I was running Leopard 10.5.8 and my iMac 2.4GHz w/1GB Ram seemed to be getting slow. I upgraded to Snow Leopard. Without much running (Mail, Safari, iCal) it is very slow. At times, the free space has gotten down to 2.5MB in Activity Monitor. Nothing extraordinary seems to running when I open Activity Monitor. When I was trying to sync my iCal with MobileMe it really crawled.

I did a PRAM reset, ran Repair Disk with install disk and Disk Warrior without any errors.

Any suggestions on what I can do to improve performance will be welcomed. Thanks!

2. Terminal.app macrumors 6502

Terminal.app

More RAM definitely. 1 GB is a very tiny amount these days. I'd upgrade to at least 3 GB.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

If, by space, you mean memory (space usually refers to the hard drive) then you should buy some more RAM. Snow Leopard does require a minimum of 1 GB of RAM but 2GB is definitely recommended.

You can visit a website like macsales.com to figure out what memory you can put inside your machine. Then once you've figured that out, then you can buy it from any retailer.

4. brainwave89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you both for your replies.

Is it "normal" that both in Leopard and Snow Leopard that the computer would start running noticeably slower?