Snow Leopard VM on 2012 Mac/Mavericks

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by macstatic, Sep 2, 2014.

1. macstatic, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

macstatic macrumors 6502a

I'd like to run some PPC apps on a mid-2012 Macbook Pro and thus need to run OSX Snow Leopard 10.6 in a virtual environment (my Macbook Pro won't allow installing OSX 10.6 the normal way).
    I have the original SL 10.6.3. installation DVD (purchased separately and came in a box as opposed to the gray DVDs that came supplied with new Macs), but it wouldn't run properly in VirtualBox (see screenshot below), nor in Parallels (I've installed their 14 day demo). The latter informs me that the only OSX versions it'll run is Leopard 10.5 or Snow Leopard 10.6 server versions.

[​IMG]

I've read speculations online saying that you need the server version because of end user agreements, but this doesn't make sense as I will be installing SL on genuine Mac hardware, but in a virtual environment. There are lots of sites explaining how to install SL on PC hardware (which I believe is a violation of the user agreements), but not how to do this on a real Mac (there's a guide in this forum for installing SL in Parallels, but obviously not the current version, and of course older versions of Parallels won't work in Mavericks, so that's no good). I haven't found any such guides for VirtualBox.

So what's the deal here? Do I need to go out and purchase the server version of SL even though I already have the normal SL installer DVD? And will it actually work on modern Mac hardware which otherwise won't accept SL to be installed normally? I'd prefer installing it in Virtualbox or some other free software if possible.

2. ratsg macrumors 6502

I don't have a direct answer to your question, but I would comment that 10.6 server was still an actual server product, not just an add on to the standard OS like it has been with the last several releases.