Snow Leopard vs. Leopard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by psychotropic, Jul 16, 2008.

1. psychotropic macrumors regular

I am going to purchase a macbook here in the next little while and I have a question because I am not computer literate nor apple literate. If I purchase a macbook now it will come with leopard installed on it....does this mean that I would have to pay to upgrade to snow leopard or is it a free upgrade? If I have to pay for it how much do apple upgrades normally cost?

Thanks for your help, sorry if this is a dumb question.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Snow Leopard will most likely be a paid update. Generally, these cost $129 for a single license and $199 for a family pack.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

5. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Although Apple haven't formally announced a pricing system it would be a safe bet to assume that they would charge.
    I strongly suggest purchasing sooner rather than waiting for Snow Leopard as it could be up-to a whole year away.

Apple currently charge £85 (~$129) for a single user upgrade. The academic version for students is even cheaper again. I would assume for it to be around abouts that value.

6. psychotropic thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Awesome guys, thanks for the quick response. For some reason I was thinking the upgrade was going to come out really soon (like January'ish). Thanks again everyone I appreciate the help.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

January is not really soon. Soon is a couple weeks.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no one knows this for sure:rolleyes:

they may make it 159 or something. it wont be free though and why should it?

9. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I'm not sure Snow will be considered a 'full" upgrade. I think they'll
    make it like $59 for owners of Leopard.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont think so as that will essentially be sayingsnow leopard is not as "big of an improvement" than leopard over tiger which in my opinion it is much better if they accomplish all that has been speculated

11. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Its not a big improvement to the end user and they've made that very clear. Its a number of back-end changes that Joe Average will never see or understand.

Here's what Apple themselves say:
    No new features means no new value to the consumer. There is no way in frozen hell that they'll sell it for $159.

12. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Agree-Apple themselves say its sort of a half step. And only a year or so between to boot. It will be cheaper, but we'll see.

Now if you don't have Leopard it will certainly be $159 or so.

13. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

From a marketing standpoint it would have been a lot easier to charge the full amount ($129) if the names did not share so much in common, and the feature list was larger. It seems like this is more of an UPGRADE of Leopard instead of an entirely new cat (pun intended).

Based on the name and a few other things, I would guess that Apple will either give it away for free (less likely) or charge a significantly less amount for it (more likely). I would guess the cost will be $49.99 or $59.99.

That being said, Apple has surprised me before. They could sell it for $129.99, and they'd sell millions of copies.

14. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

It's possible; but Apple have essentially being doing just that for years - they alternated between delivering new technology OS's (10.2, 10.4) and new feature OS's (10.3, 10.5).

However, even the new technology releases had enough tweaks and new features to make them interesting.

15. psychotropic thread starter macrumors regular

lame....

I found it sad that you have nothing better to do with your life than critique my word choice. I found that rather trivial and believe it shows more of your personality than any of us wanted to see. LAME!!!!

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I highly doubt that apple would release a higher priced version for those who own intel macs with tiger.

I recon it'll be fairly cheap or even free like 10.1 was as it's basically like a *huge* package of bugfixes.

17. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

crazy to think of snow leopard now...not coming out for an entire year! Hopefully the OP will not wait an ENTIRE YEAR before buying!

18. Minico88 macrumors newbie

19. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

bottom line, dont wait a year+ to buy a computer for an OS that you probably wont notice much difference from leopard

20. psychotropic thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, I'm not waiting I'm looking to buy in August.

21. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

AMEN!

22. Hughjass macrumors newbie

23. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

What is this world coming to?

OT:

I'm willing to wager its going to be $129, as 90% of OS X versions have been.
    I think they've pretty much peaked out for ideas for the GUI, for now anyways. Focusing on making it "set new standards of quality" and multicore efficient sounds like a win to me though, well worth the money... or so we shall see.

24. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I think that the update for people who bought their computers very late will have the 9.95 dollar price, but then will be more expensive for us veterans. :( Not fair.

25. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway