Snow Leopard - What Improvement?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lloyd709, Dec 19, 2009.

1. lloyd709 macrumors 6502

Jan 10, 2008
    I just installed Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro, but before I installed it I ran a few of my own benchmarks such as start up time, time to copy a large number of images, time to run a number of photoshop actions (all the general stuff I do).

After installing Snow Leopard I noticed that the computer started up about 30 percent faster (which is nice) but there's absolutely no difference in the speed of anything else. Also, not that I have much faith in it anyway, but the xBench score went from 141 to 122 - mainly do to a large drop in it's performance on the OpenGL Graphics Test.

Well that was £25 worth spent (I save 15 seconds every time I start my computer). If anyone can give a little insight that might me feel better about my purchase it would be nice.

2. nOw2 macrumors regular

Sep 1, 2009
    My personal impression: I'd pay 25 quid just for the speed improvements.

Make sure you have no incompatible apps bogging the machine down. In general SL has provided a big day-to-day performance improvement here.
  3. ttopp macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2007
    try repairing permissions and resetting the pram

Repairing Permissions: start up from SL disc and use disc utility.

Reset PRAM: shut down then restart holding the CMD ALT P R keys down.

Then try your tests again..

these might help there again they might no..
  4. Winni macrumors 68030

Oct 15, 2008
    Well, your Airport wireless connection won't work properly anymore with Snow Leopard - which means you will receive a lot less spam emails and you won't be wasting so much time on the Internet anymore, because the connection will always fail... :p

But besides the "improvements" for Apple's Airport cards, I still haven't found anything worth noticing about Snow Leopard. It was a pay-for service pack for Leopard, but one that made things actually worse.