Snow Leopard: what to expect

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Loa, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

I've been reading lots of threads in here and articles on the web about how great 10.6 will be for us all. 64bit, GrandCentral, OpenCL, Quicktime X and many under the hood improvements.

My question is: going from 10.5x to 10.6, should I expect anything different performance wise? Are there any apps that could see some significant (20% or more) performance increase?

Thanks,

Loa

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

As you will see in many other threads, you should see an increase, 20% is probably a stretch, a lot has to depend on the computer and cores.

3. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Performance is just about the only thing you can expect to be honest.

It is not a featureful release, but the performance boosts are very welcome.

-Omi

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

5. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

I think that those who use their Macs to or close to the limit will experience the greatest increase in performance...

6. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Thanks for the inputs.

Whenever I read about 10.6, I read something like: "Apple pushes new technology that will allow developers to make faster apps."

Will the simple fact of going from 10.5 to 10.6, using the same apps, make any difference? Apps like CS4 for example?

Thanks

Loa

7. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

lol, you have hit on something there

perhaps the biggest thing about Snow Leopard is what it allows future Mac Developers to do...

but you will notice speed improvements with present programs. how much is anyone's guess, but last i heard, Apple were claiming up to 30%...

8. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Yup, just a much welcomed performance increase. 20% seems to be a bit much though...

9. pprior macrumors 65816

Given it takes hundreds of dollars to get that kind of speed bump hardware-wise, 20% bump for less than $50 would be an amazing deal.

10. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I guess the average performance increase will be around 5% - if that.

Snow Leopard will offer more things 64-bit though. That's all you can expect IMO.

Highly highly doubtful. Maybe 2 to 5% as mentioned. In fact if their 64-bit-ness is like other OS's some things will even be slower.

11. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori