Snow Leopard: What's the big deal?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ecoons, Aug 26, 2009.

1. ecoons macrumors member

What IS the big deal with Snow Leopard? Here are some "features" I am seeing when I scroll through Apple's webpage. Also, let me preface this by saying I own a X3100 MacBook, and am not "thrilled" at some of the grand central features which are geared towards the newer computers...

-1.4x JPEG icon refresh
    -Faster installation
    -Faster time machine initial backup (you only do these once, so...who cares?)
    -Chinese character input (won't work on iMac or whitebooks)
    -Automatic Time Zone setup
    -More reliable disk eject
    -Gamma 2.2
    -Automatic printer driver updates
    -4 new fonts
    -Date in menu bar
    -Reorderable mail sidebar

Just a few of the lackluster "features" in 10.6. Quicktime X seems great, as do some of the few small features. But why a whole new product? Just for grand central?

I think when they say "refinement" that's really all it is. But then again, it is only a $30 upgrade... Your thoughts?

2. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Bingo. Not that refinement is bad; I will take a solid update any day.

But still, new Apple products make all our little hearts go aflutter. That's why everyone is so excited.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Open up the hood and that's where you will see where the big deal is. :)

4. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

GCD works just fine on my older MacBook than that. I've already used it to good effect in some code I've been working on.

5. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

I think the big deal is all the other posts about SL. :p
    Linkety
    Linky
    Link to name a few. ;)

6. str1f3 macrumors 68000

It's very nice that Snow Leopard is cleaned up and it's ready to fully utilize the next-gen Intel processors but one has to wonder:

Where is the modern OS going?

10.7 will probably usher in a new GUI design and more multitouch gestures but fundamentally Mac OS X has remained the same and probably will when OS XI comes out. Is the future the tablet? Right now all I can see is very minor changes though every point release and nothing special.

I want to see something revolutionary come from Apple or anyone that rethinks the way we interact with the OS other than using a mouse and keyboard. Snow Leopard doesn't give me that spark.

7. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping for the new GUI to change the old-school Black-on-White text menus and use the new Dock menus' GUI. If that makes sense?

8. str1f3 macrumors 68000

I'd like that also but it doesn't seem enough to me anymore. The fundamental way we interact with our desktops hasn't changed since the original Mac. It just seems to me like much of this is getting stale. I really couldn't care less that the OS is checking my .dmg for malware. I'm not getting excited over that. The idea of the mouse and keyboard is an ancient design and yet nobody has found a way yet to replace it.

I would hope that maybe the tablet will usher in the new era but it seems that it won't run Snow Leopard and Apple will lock down the device to the App Store.

9. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I don't know about other people I like to backup regularly especially with school around the corner.

ChrisN

10. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

what he's saying is that time machine's first backup usually takes a really long time. that's where snow leopard will speed up the process. the time of daily backups will not see major improvements.

11. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

What IS the big deal with Snow Leopard? - Read the reviews.

Your software will be more and more geared to the new hardware.

[​IMG]

If you're not thrilled, don't upgrade. C'est la vie. You want film and others use digital? Your choice.

Apple is underselling, but it'll sure as hell have boastable benchmarks by February-July - when MBP's get refreshed, and the iPhone goes potentially multi-core and starts using OpenCL too...

You're right, the ones you mentioned are lacklustre - they aren't ground shakers, but then I see you didn't include Exchange support on the list, or what OpenCL does, or what Grand Central Dispatch does....

You say it best with
    This is a prep step for a big shift - GPU usage for computers is a big thing. The one off extra gain affects Moore's Law on some things.

E.g. some computation will be seeing 20x improvements. Check out the OpenCL talks by iGotchi here - very easy to follow and explain everything, demonstrating what SNow Leopard means to science users.
    http://www.macresearch.org/files/opencl/Episode_1.mov

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

its just an expensive service pack like windows 7 is for vista in my opinion.

Well... not quite as expensive obviously.

I'm just not keen on upgrading... i dunno why, ive just got a bad feeling about it.

13. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how this Chinese character input is going to work (gf is Chinese)..