Snow Leopard!!! when...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bebetc, Jun 19, 2008.

1. bebetc macrumors member

bebetc

I am planning to get and iMac but I am a bit confuse about Snow Leopard when is coming out, can anyone please explain me what is going to be, and when they are planning to have a release I really don't want to wait anymore!!!!

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Apple's only time frame given is "about a year". Maybe they'll have it about April/May or maybe it'll be pushed back to the Fall. It's a long way off and a lot can happen between now and it's release.
    Just buy now.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No exact date has been announced. Apple said "in about a years time" a few weeks ago. So sometime mid-2009 seems likely.

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

~ 12 - 15 Months, providing no major delays or problems.

If you need something, get it now, OSX is cheap enough that purchasing SL won't break the bank. (or your Mac)

5. NintendoFan macrumors regular

Buy now, we're still a ways away. Probably a little after Nehalem.

6. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Apple were ahead of schedule in delivering with Tiger.

Initial speculation from insider had the release pinned for January.

So they may deliver early this time round. I think they may have been deliberately conservative in order to avoid disappointment.

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Apple has only announced a suspected time to complete it, "about a year." And I would expect it to extend beyond that, but then again, I think a preview during MacWorld '09 is likely, with a final preview during WWDC '09, and a release about 2 weeks to a month after that. So ideally, the release should be around early-mid July '09, but it could easily be delayed until September-October '09. I would not hesitate on buying a Mac now, as it could be up to 12-18 months before we see the release. And I would not expect the price to exceed $129, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were less.

8. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Nailed it. The point of Grand Central is to take advantage of multi-core processors; Nehalem will introduce 4+ cores to consumer pricing.

9. D4F Guest

D4F

Man I'm still not sure bout Snow. All I want to know is backward compatibility with software. Considering I have over $7K in software, if Snow does not let me run them AND Apple restricts new machines for Snow (just like they did with Tiger recently) then I will hurt somebody.

10. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Truthfully, 90% of Mac owners probably don't care about backwards compatibility with old stuff since most Mac users are new mac users.

Anyways, they said about a year, but Apple notoriously delays releases - so I'd say closer to october (like Leopard). Also, the changes will be mostly under the hood and probably not many new features.

You'd be nuts to wait now. Just buy a machine already. Leopard is pretty new. It's also gotten refined and many would say that it's way better today than it was back in October.

Personally, when Snow Leopard comes out, I'll sell my white 24" iMac and upgrade to the next iMac. In over a year, there will definitely be several improvements to the model and it'll certainly be worth upgrading.

11. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

Apple says a year. Any iMac you buy now will run SL just fine. If you want/need one now, buy now. iMac updates are a long way off.

12. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

It should be out by "June 2008". Either ways, Leopard is great now and Snow Leopard will only be a performance enhancement.

13. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

"Only a performance enhancement" ?!?!?!?!

I like eye candy and new features as much as anyone, but a significant performance enhancement is always welcome.

14. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Yeah, I'm definitely going to buy and welcome Snow Leopard, but if I wouldn't wait another year to buy a Mac just to save money on a performance boost. To be honest, it won't be an operating system like Leopard where I'd feel like I NEED to get it the first day.