Snow Leopard will not load...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Steagles, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Steagles macrumors newbie

So I have a MBP 2010 model, and recently it froze, so I manually restarted the computer. After that, the gray Apple screen came up for about 2 minutes and shuts off. I have tried to repair my Snow Leopard install but Macintosh HD can't be changed. How can I reformat my drive? Or should I do something different?
    Thanks

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

Your explanation was not clear about what you tried to do to repair the OS.
    First, you should try booting from the Snow Leopard DVD Install disk by restarting the machine with the disk inserted and hold down the Option key, choose the DVD icon when it appears (may take a while) and click the arrow underneath the DVD icon.
    Second, after the DVD loads, again this will take awhile, you will be asked to choose a language, so do that. Then do not continue the install procedure, but click the Utilities Menu item up at the top of the screen and choose Disk Utility.
    Third, try to repaair the internal HD, Macintosh HD by default, although many people rename it. Also try to Repair Permissions.
    Then restart the machine and see if it works.
    A system restall from the DVD is another option, followed by running the Software Update from the System Preferences pane, should leave your data intact.
    Post back with more info after that.

3. Steagles thread starter macrumors newbie

No dice. It says that MHD can't be changed, and I tried repairing it, and it says it cannot be repaired. I think I might have to take it to an Apple store so they can reformat my drive.

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

So instead of taking it to the store, why don't you just reformat yourself during the install process? This would save you time and a trip.

5. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

If you have a backup of your data, this is what I would do before driving to Apple. Put the DVD in and follow the steps above, except partition the drive using OSX Extended Journaled. Under Advanced, ensure GUID Table is selected.