Snow Leopard + Windows 7 + Parallels 5 = Compatible?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by schwine1, May 7, 2010.

1. schwine1 macrumors regular

Has anyone had any success in getting Parallels 5 to work in a stable fashion with Snow Leopard and Windows 7? In my case, Parallels 5 crashed Windows 7 so I had to re-install this operating system.

The installation of Parallels 5 went perfectly, but within a few hours after installation, the software was having problems connecting to and operating Windows 7, and ultimately, I had to re-install Windows 7.

I've also observed on the main forum for Parallels 5, that many users who are trying to use this software with Snow Leopard and Windows 7, are not having any lasting success.
    Personally, I'm not comfortable working with Parallels 5 again until they have released some software patches that address the current stability issues.
    I have tried contacting Parallels 5 Email Support but they have not returned my inquiries.

Thanks for any feedback.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm using Vmware and find that product to be very stable and solid.

I jumped ship from parallels to vmware when parallels was at version 3. The instability of parallels got to me and I got tired of the Kernel Panics, BSODs, and other headaches. Vmware has none of those problems.

I recommend using that over parallels, and given that vmwre offers a trial download you can try before you buy.

3. dfy macrumors member

I have experience with both VMware Fusion 3 and Parallels 5 (build 5.0.9344) in combination with a Windows 7 Ultimate VM running on Snow Leopard 10.6.3.

I have none of the issues you are describing so it is possible to have a stable config. I believe I started with Snow Leopard 10.6.1 and the first Parallels 5 release and I never experienced instability. However performance was increased over time.

My experience with VMware Fusion is the other way around as maflynn, very instable and lots of performance issues.
    Because of that I stopped using VMware a couple of months ago.

So I guess it depends on config.

4. Yomo macrumors newbie

I'm using Parallels 5 with Windows 7 and have no problems at all.

I installed Windows 7 through Bootcamp, then installed Parallels 5 and told it to use the Bootcamp version for its VM.

As far as VMWare VS Parallels 5, I initially installed the trial version of VMWare. It seemed to run fine. I read a review (or two) that said Parallels 5 was faster (and more stable) in their tests. So I removed VMWare and installed the trial version of Parallels 5. I didn't do any real tests myself -- just read reviews of others comparing them. For the week I had VMWare installed -- it worked fine for me. Since I've had Parallels installed -- it's worked fine for me too. I just stuck with Parallels because the reviews said it was a bit better and the settings menus seemed to be more advanced than VMWare.

5. schwine1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the discussion.
    I'll trying installing Parallels 5 once again after I've created a back up of Windows 7 on a separate hard drive for safety.