snow leopard with 8.1

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gilliard, Apr 9, 2014.

1. gilliard macrumors newbie

Hi all
    I love my apple system 10.6.8 (snow leopard) I do volunteering at a college and they use windows xp and they are going to upgrade to windows 8.1.
    My question is: is it possible to put 8.1 on my imac. I want to be able to use both systems at home to keep up with college. If it is possible could you lovely guys direct me in the best way of doing this.
    I am not keen on changing to Mavericks as I have heard that a lot of apples own software wont open or work with this upgrade.

Cheers in advance.

:rolleyes:

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Boot Camp 3.0 which is included with Snow Leopard does not support Windows 8. In fact, rather than screaming curses, swearing, and wanting to punch your iMac, I recommend that you keep Windows 8 as far away from it as possible.

If you must use the absolutely atrocious Windows 8 that was designed by three year olds, then the update to the newest Boot Camp is required. You get the newest version of Boot Camp in Mavericks. I would actually go VM for this. Look at Parallels, Virtual Box, etc.

3. gilliard thread starter macrumors newbie

8.1 and mac

Thanks Altemose for replying so swiftly, I thought that might be the case.
    I will leave my mac alone.
    Cheers ;)

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes, 8.1 is that atrocious. Never once would I think to see an OS that has two places for running apps to be (Desktop taskbar and sidebar). It is really a good touch interface, but I think the iPad is better. Personally, I think Microsoft should have used the new flat UI but kept it classic like Windows 7. They need to stop trying to please everyone with a laplet (Surface) and make an OS for pros.

Anyhow, Mavericks isn't bad but can be buggy. It is fine with 4 GB or more of RAM. Snow Leopard has Rosetta to run PPC software as well. Sadly, Snow Leopard is no longer getting Security Updates.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You heard very wrong.