Snow Leopard with Macbook Air network problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by koruki, Sep 3, 2009.

1. koruki macrumors 65816

koruki

Hi is anyone else getting network issues with Snow Leopard on their macbook air? I bought the family pack and installed it on my MBP and black Macbook but the macbook air has been acting weird since the upgrade. The internet constantly drops and the browser simply get stuck trying to find a connection, other apps that require internet are also not responding. Usually after a few quits and restarts of the application the internet would come back normal but then later it would drop again. I know its specific to the Air because I dont get issues with the Pro or regular Macbook running right next to the machine. I have tried deleting the WPA2 account and readding it but the problem still shows up frequently. Using the Eithernet USB adaptor doesnt help either.

any ideas ppl?

2. stcato macrumors newbie

Problem with MacBook Pro

I have the opposite problem MacBook Air is OK but I have now lost my connection with MacBook pro using the same network - also iMac is OK

It was Ok yesterday but today Though it says Airport is connected I can't access the Router with MBPro - Last night I installed Parallels 4 and wondered if that was the problem but have now uninstalled it but still have the same problem - I am thankful for my MBAir !

What a pain

3. carlobloks macrumors newbie

Yup..

I'm experiencing somewhat the same with my MBA rev A...

When using Firefox sometimes it takes ages to open a website... When my brother sits next to me using a different laptop on the same wifi network he has no problems at all... I experienced the same at a friend's home.

I have already updated Adobe Flash to 10.0.32.18, but that didn't make any difference...

I noticed that even though Coolbook 2.15 still doesn't work with SL, that the MBA does not run extremely hot, so I don't think it has anything to do with temperature...

I takes forever to watch a presentation via TED.com or to open a youtube movie (could indicate that it has something to with Flash, right?)

Really hope someone knows what to do...

4. carlobloks macrumors newbie

Yup...

I'm experiencing somewhat the same with my MBA rev A...

When using Firefox sometimes it takes ages to open a website... When my brother sits next to me using a different laptop on the same wifi network he has no problems at all... I experienced the same at a friend's home.

I have already updated Adobe Flash to 10.0.32.18, but that didn't make any difference...

I noticed that even though Coolbook 2.15 still doesn't work with SL, that the MBA does not run extremely hot, so I don't think it has anything to do with temperature...

I takes forever to watch a presentation via TED.com or to open a youtube movie (could indicate that it has something to with Flash, right?)

Really hope someone knows what to do...

5. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Same

I have the same issue with my MBP. Even when I connect it to a hard line, it still has the same problems on multiple browsers. I might just go back to leopard for now, unless a fix is imminent.

6. webdesignr macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro Late 2007 model with Snow Leopard

I am having the same issues.

I thought it was because of adding my iPhone with Bluetooth PAN (for tethering) under Networking, but still has problem after removal.

As a web designer, this is killing me :confused:

Updated:
    1. Restarted my local router (pulled the power cord)
    2. Restarted my MBP

I am monitoring the Network Diagnostic window as I work and I haven't seen the "green lights" go yellow or red yet.

Update 2:
    Google Search: "firefox 3.5.2 issues with snow leopard"
    It sounds like others are having issues with Firefox 3.5.2 crashing (havent seen) or running slow (seen it).
    With all green lights I am seeing Firefox error out as if there is no network. Weird.
    Reinstalling Flash 10.0.32.18 and restarting MBP before opening browsers again. ?? see what happens.

-----
    MacBook Pro Late 2007
    Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM
    New install of Snow Leopard from Tiger (not upgraded)

7. koruki thread starter macrumors 65816

koruki

Pretty much there seems to be no way to really solve the issue when it creeps up, it simply fixes itself when it wants. Using hardline or wifi doesnt make a difference.

As for browser, I think it doesnt effect my case as I am using Safari 4 and other applications (chat clients) that require an internet connection also locks up. As the macbook air is my g/fs, shes been very open at voicing her desire for me to restore everything back to Leopard and said I can stay on Snow leopard myself lol.

8. Mbohanan macrumors newbie

same issues

I am experiencing the same issues and network drops, getting a "server not responding" when trying to connect to our file server. I am having to flash the IP address every so often and that seems to clear it up.

Outside of the obvious PITA of losing browser connectivity Mail has been the biggest problem. We are running Exchange Server 2003 and are using IMAP until we upgrade to 2007. It will just lose the connection to the server and my exchange account will become unavailable until I restart Mail and flash the DHCP lease.

9. Jeremy08 macrumors regular

Same issues here...except im running a unibody mb and my problems are more spiratic...ill be surfing the internet, or torrenting...and ill click a link or type in a new web page, and the browser will just stall, and my torrenting rate will go down to 0. The only way to get it back is turn my wifi off and on again. Im running a linksys wrt54g2 router, that is fairly new, so i wouldn't imagine that is the problem. Don't really recall having any issues prior to upgrading to snow leopard...any ideas?? REALLY ANNOYING!! Thinking about doing a clean install, not sure if thats the issue, anyone think its my router???

10. paulb00th macrumors newbie

iMac 20" Aluminium 2.66 (Oct 2008)

I'm getting the same thing with my iMac after installing Snow Leopard - keep losing the network then it just comes back. Plays havoc with web browsing and Spotify and makes connecting to work via VPN unbearable as the connection drops every minute or so.

I've looked in the console log but can't see anything obvious.

11. fcapriles macrumors newbie

fcapriles

Same networking issues here....

I am having the same problem with my iMac 24

This networking issues made me restart a couple of times, and then i decided to go back to 10,6.... everything is fine under 10,6 so the issue is in 10,6,1

Hope apple launches a quick fix soon,...

12. davidkellis macrumors newbie

Jeremy, I'm having the *exact* same issue as you, except I'm running a March 2008 MB instead of the Unibody. I have the WRT54G2 and the only way I can get back online is to turn off AirPort and turn it back on again.

BTW, I did a clean install of Snow Leopard and then immediately installed 10.6.1.

13. SParis macrumors newbie

Problems with Mac mini

I have the exact same problem with my Mac mini (1.83GHz Intel). The network diagnostics always say it either cannot find my AirPort base station or cannot go online.

Yet I'm only 3 metres aways from the damn thing and all my other Macs are merrily on 10.6.1 with nary a problem.

It's a bummer because that Mac mini is for the kids and now chats, emails and browsing is an interminable hassle.

Using the Network Diagnostic program fixes the issue... for about 10 seconds, then we're back were we started from :-[

Does anyone, anywhere know how to fix this (save for downgrading to Leopard which annoyingly I cannot do: I've just moved house and those disks are in a box... somewhere :-( )

14. deceptia macrumors newbie

Snow network problems

I went to this web site and noticed the problems related to IPv6 & IPV4.

http://my.opera.com/danaleks/blog/2009/09/11/opera-10-slow-ipv6-on-snow-leopard

My issue had been as follows:

I would get to access some sites and not others & it was not a web browser issue as all web browser reacted the same. The interruptions/blockings were irregular. While running Vista at the same time I encountered zero problems (I accessed every site), so it was not a modem/router connection problem. The problem was obviously something to do with Snow.

Based on the lead from the above web site I did the following:

I went to Preferences-Networking-Advanced-TC/IP. I changed "Configure IPv6" from "Automatic" to "Off". At the moment the issue hasn't occurred. I don't know the implications of turning the IPv6 off - maybe someone knowledgeable can explain. However it works (so far).

15. jacketseason macrumors newbie

Same thing

Jeremy08: I have the exact same setup (Unibody MacBook + Linksys WRT54G2) and the exact same problem after upgrading to 10.6. Have you found a solution yet? I'm getting extremely frustrated :mad:

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You can also turn off IPv6 inside firefox also.

17. SParis macrumors newbie

The mysterious network issues

Turning off ipv6 didn't work for me.

However, i discovered that this problem only affects my main account: I logged into my daughter's and lo and behold, the net was flowing freely.

Going back to my main account and it's still barren of web activity.

So I'm now thinking of creating a new admin account and migrating my files to it.

Will let you know how I fare ... when I get round to it! ;-)

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

could always toss all the network and airport preferences you can find.

But you might want to try show all under activity monitor to see if something is causing a problem, might be a log in item in your account not in your daughter's account.

Note: Firefox -- go up to bookmarks and use backup to create a new bookmark.json file, then you can look inside your Firefox profile and chuck anything bigger than 1MB ... if you have an old profile updated from a long time ago it might be causing a problem.