Snow Leopard won't instal?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jrm27, Sep 28, 2009.

1. jrm27 macrumors 6502

Hi all:

I'll admit... I'm not very techy. However, I could use a hand in trying to upgrade my mini from 10.5.8 to SL.

First off, it is an intel machine, but the DVD drive has long been broken. I use an extenal USB connected drive when needed. So, I put the SL disc in, click on the installer, select the drive, etc.. and everything looks great. However, when it gets to the point of installing, it hangs at "45 minutes remaining", then quickly zips to the end. It reboots my computer and I am still on 10.5.8. Tried it multiple times, tried repairing my permissions, etc... No dice.

So, what is my next step? I have everything backed up with time machine (on an external drive), so do I need to wipe the drive clean and start from scratch? How do I do that and keep the iLife programs that came on my computer? Any help? Thanks!

-jon

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

take the sl disk and ur mac to the nearest apple retail store, they might fix do it for free, or a charge you a small fee.

3. RRRize macrumors regular

It's likely that it just doesn't like that external DVD drive. I would recommend that you get the internal DVD drive replaced. It's easy enough to replace yourself. Just do a search on eBay for a replacement drive for your Mac Mini.

4. jrm27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all... I'm about 120 miles from the nearest apple store, and I was actually considering replacing my internal DVD drive with another internal hard drive as I've seen some here do. But I'll reconsider if it is the only way I can get SL going.

Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks!

5. jrm27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all. I was able to get it to work by restoring the installation disc's image to a bootable flash drive. Worked perfectly!