Snow Leopard won't install...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by njshorecore, May 21, 2012.

1. njshorecore macrumors newbie

njshorecore

I bought my macbook before snow leopard came out, and then my friend gave me her install disk when it did. it worked perfectly fine then! so everything is going well, then suddenly i did something dumb to my macbook and it crashed. i wanted to reinstall snow leopard but the disk said it couldnt work. so i had to go back to leopard 10.5.8. i want to go to lion, but im really not in the mood to spend $60 total for SL and lion. why wont my install disk work now? think i can go to the apple store and sweet talk them into upgrading to SL for me? :) if it's needed i have a white macbook, 10.5.8, 2.4GHz intel core 2 duo, 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. the install disk is for 10.6.2 and i have the applications install disk too

thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

So it is a grey restore disk with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on it? Those are model specific and require some hacking to be usable with other Macs.

As you don't want to spend 29 USD for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard you need to find another way, as we don't help with piracy.

3. njshorecore thread starter macrumors newbie

njshorecore

the weird thing is that it worked before, now it wont.

4. simsaladimbamba

Were the exact same steps from the last successful installation employed this time?
    Otherwise we will keep guessing and guessing.
    Maybe it is time to spend 29 USD for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, install it and then make a backup (and maybe a backup of the backup) and then when you feel the need for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion spend another 29 USD for that.

5. njshorecore thread starter macrumors newbie

njshorecore

i popped the cd in, and it did its thing. i put the cd in now, it says no. im a few more google searches away from buying it. i have my external HD now for back up.

6. theBostonian Suspended

just to be clear here, did you try to reinstall snow leopard directly or did you first install leopard and then snow leopard?

i think (although possibly i could have dreamt it) that for some versions of SL you need leopard installed first.

7. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

It's going to be really hard to help you with statements like "it didn't work" or "it said no". If you want help, tell us exactly what error you see.

Is this an original disk? One the came with a computer? A retail version? Is it a copy you made?