snow leopard wont install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by im-loving-it, Dec 25, 2015.

1. im-loving-it macrumors member

i bought a macbook pro 2008 a few days ago and it had el capitan on it, but i wanted to install snow leopard on it so i inserted the disc, swicthed it back on holding C and done the usual disk utility erase and install, everything fine till i noticed its taking a little longer than usual then i got this on my screen (attached photo) anyone know what to do? i already put a new hard drive in their and its the same thing :(

Attached Files:

2. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Is it a white retail disk from Apple or one of those gray disks that has written "MacBook Pro Install Disk" for example on it?

I read those grey disks only can be installed on the identical hardware they had been delivered with.

3. im-loving-it thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply, its the official apple retail one, i used it loads of times before on different macs and NEVER had a problem with it :(

4. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Did you erase the whole drive and created a new partition or just erased the OS partition? It could cause problems to install a much older OS on a partition created by a much newer OS.

Resetting the SMC and NVRAM can help with very much problems too.

Could also be a damaged optical drive, HDD, any other hardware or just the installation disk.

Maybe you can see the reason in the installation log.

5. im-loving-it thread starter macrumors member

i just click on the drive and erased it, and then put a new one in, i saw an old post by someone else on here who had the same problem and they basically solved it by stucking the am in properly, so thats what i ahve done and trying again now