Snow Leopard Won't Recognize Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by allforsc2, Jan 1, 2012.

1. allforsc2 macrumors newbie

I previously had Lion installed on my computer but it does not allow for XP to run with Bootcamp. I had XP installed before but since it had a virus I decided I would redo the whole hard drive. So, I down graded to Leopard so that hopefully XP would work since Lion is the Windows 7 exclusive version (which i can't get to work either). So, when I do manage to finagle the computer into running the XP setup, the keyboard is not recognized and I can't hit enter to start the installation. I've been tooling around with this for days and I can't figure out how to get either Windows 7 or XP to work. :(

2. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I'm triple booting between Lion, Snow Leopard, and XP. It is possible.

Boot Camp does two things:
    A) Create a partition on your hard drive.
    B) Installs Windows drivers so that it recognizes the hardware in your mac.

(A) above doesn't care what version of OSX or windows you're trying to use. You don't actually have to use windows, you could just as easily install Linux on the partition after you make it.

(B) is the only one you might have an issue with.

You can use Boot Camp Assistant (or just Disk Utility) to create the partition.

If you have a Snow Leopard install disk (or the recovery disk that came with your Mac), then you have the XP drivers.

1) Create the partition.
    2) Put your XP install disk in the drive and reboot.
    3) Hold the 'option' key.
    4) Select the Windows Disk as your boot volume.
    5) Install windows, select the partition you created, and reformat it as NTFS.
    6) After windows is setup, insert the Snow Leopard disk. It will run an installer and give you the drivers you need.

3. allforsc2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I will try your method and I will post an update on efforts.

4. allforsc2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's my update. I tried just using disk utility to make the partition and then rebooted and fired up the windows disk. The problem arises when the setup program asks me to hit enter to begin installation. I hit enter and nothing happens, I try other commands as well but nothing is happening. Is there someway to get the keyboard to be recognized? Do I have to format the hd to DOS form? Did I answer my own question?

5. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Are you using a blue-tooth key board?

Try a USB keyboard if you have one.

What make/model mac are you using?

6. allforsc2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I found that if I removed all usb connections beside the keyboard, it worked. Thanks for the help