Snow Leopard Worth It?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by weekendsrule32, Aug 31, 2009.

?

Worth it?

1. Total Yes

44 vote(s)
    61.1%
  2. Yes, But Has Problems

10 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. No, Because of Problems

5 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. No, Because it's not that different

13 vote(s)
    18.1%
  1. weekendsrule32 macrumors member

Just curious to find out what people think of snow leopard, and if it is worth upgrading?

2. JRob65a6 macrumors regular

JRob65a6

yes yes and yes. It is worth it. Significant increase in speed all around as far as I can tell. I work on my 17 Unibody 6-10 hrs a day and I found one different thing. I didnt need some software I did need before. Snow Leopard came with it built in and I actually like it better. It was My Hp printer software.

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I believe it's worth it, but only because of its low price. If Snow Leopard cost $129 for example, I don't think I could justify the price. Most of the improvements are behind-the-scenes, and for what I use my computer for, the difference is slight. Time Machine is certainly faster at backing up, and everything just feels a bit faster overall, but beyond that, it's the same old Leopard to me. I bought the Family Pack and upgraded my three Macs, and at $49, I believe it was worth it all things considered.

4. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Modest immediate improvements. Potential for big changes long term. But broken apps and drivers at the outset.

5. rxl125 macrumors regular

WASTE of money!!!! Even at $29.

6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

You should listen to this man. Because it's Bill Gates. ;)

Speaking of which, Bill, Ballmer? Why?! Seriously?

7. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

+1

Yea, that was pretty terrific. It found my networked HP printer, got the drivers, and boom! No crappy HP software anymore!

8. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I'd argue that. They refined many things, and it's just a snappier, cleaner, more efficient OS. Bugs like ejecting your disc are gone, there's great features like auto-correction (think iPhone auto correction) that works really well, and then there's more advanced technologies like Open CL that finally lifts some of the load off of the processor. Then there is Grand Central which is useful for Mac Pro's and harnesses its 4 or 8 cores.

Think of it this way. A Quicktime 7 Pro license would cost you $29. You get a far superior version of Quicktime built into Snow Leopard as part of the $29 you spend on the OS.

I can't believe people would even debate getting a $29 upgrade when they've spent so much on their Macs. Why spend $1000+ on a Mac and then not get a crucial upgrade that's just $29. It will speed up your Mac, and you will notice refinements from top to bottom that'll just make your life a little bit easier.

9. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

For $29, it's a no brainer and totally worth it.

10. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Troll.

11. weekendsrule32 thread starter macrumors member

Well i just bought snow leopard (for 24 dollars on ebay with bing cashback), and ilife 09 (Finally!):rolleyes: I'll let everyone know what i think of both after i get to use them for a while (Especially the updated services!!!):D on my blog at randomstuff247.com. (I just started so be nice, it is still under construction!):p

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It was alright. Some programs are broken, but I can live with it.

13. damian001 macrumors newbie

I'd say its worth it for $29, but you shouldn't install it yet until most of the bugs are fixed. I wish I could've stuck around with Leopard a little longer before upgrading it to 10.6

14. iBunny macrumors 65816

It is totally worth it. Its $29.

Think about it. Up to date operating system, which apple will provide free updates to until 10.7.

You will use Snow Leopard for at least a year until 10.7 comes out (But im sure it will be longer than that)

So if you break it down... Snow Leopard will come down to costing pennies a day, for better speed, and more up to date security features.

Sure, there is not much difference to the naked eye compared to Leopard, but its all under the hood performance improvements. Significant under the hood performance improvements that alot of people spent alot of time developing.

So yes its woth $29.

That being said I have my copy, but am waiting until 10.6.1 to install. Since users are reporting small issues that I dont want to deal with. Hope its out fairly soon (before Thanksgiving would be wonderful)

15. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

should i wait for updates and fixes before installing it ?

because so far, leopard is working just fine

and snow leopard is showing various bugs and incompatibilities...

what do you think ?

16. sputacus macrumors regular

It was well worth the the $29 as it has performed as advertised.

There have been issues with some of my applications:

1. Nikon's Capture NX2 - it's recent update is does not work if updated while running SL, but does work in SL when it (NX2) is updated in Leopard first, prior to SL upgrade. I had to re-clone my system with 10.5.8 to get an succesful Nikon update of NX2. Afterward I did another upgrade to SL - NX2 is working fine now.

2. OSX utilities Onyx and Cocktail are not yet compatible with SL - I can wait for their developers to release updated versions.

I will continue to maintain a 10.5.8 clone of my last Leopard installation just in case...but I'm very pleased with SL so far!

17. alleycat macrumors regular

Nope. This was not typical of what Apple usually puts out, which should be foolproof and easy to upgrade. Not very much worked on my computer, and good Lord, it's only about three years old!!! Back to OS X 10.5.8.

I begin to wonder…is Snow Leopard really Vista in disguise? :D

18. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

For the price of £25 it is certainly worth trying, if it had been full price then no, not worth it

A few issues with the new changes, but 3rd party solutions come to the rescue

19. djellison macrumors 68020

Meanwhile - clean install on my UBMB.

No, No and No. It's not worth it. If you machine is working fine now - don't bother. You wont notice any speed increases and until devs start making use of the new 'plumbing' of SL - you will not reap the benefits of it.

How or why people got excited by this upgrade I don't know.

I have SL now - and to be honest, I can't tell. It's not different to L was last week.

20. johnmadden78 macrumors member

I would say yes, but bear in mind it's not that different. I think the only thing that changed on mine in terms of physical appearance was the Quicktime icon.

As far as performance goes, I'm running an early-2008 15" Macbook Pro, and yeah, there's a definite improvement. I wouldn't say a dramatic one - if you drive I would say it's the equivalent of taking your car in for its annual service rather than a full tune-up - everything's snappier and tighter, but it's not like you've souped it up or anything.

I will say this - if not for the low price, I don't think I'd have bothered. But yeah, it's worth the €29/$29/£25.

21. sputacus macrumors regular

I'm excited at the increase of performance of my system since I upgraded, without any problems with the new OSX!!!

There will be always be cases with updates and upgrades, for whatever reasons, will cause problems on some systems. Fortunately for me I haven't had any problems from Apple updates and upgrades, and I usually installed them as soon as they are released. But I always keep an updated clone of my previous installation around for awhile (as I'm currently doing with 10.5.8) - if the upgrade works, that's great. If it doesn't, in less than 75 minutes I can re-clone my system back to its pre-upgrade state.

22. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

[​IMG]

It's worth every penny. For $29, the benefits you get are pretty awesome. Yeah, it's all behind the scenes. But that's what an OS is all about. I love features as much as the next guy, but I want what's there to work and work well all the time. Snow Leopard insures this.

23. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Worth £25? Yup.

Worth the free price I paid? Yup.

:D

EDIT: Stridder44, where do I buy some of that stuff? :p

24. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

You can't expect everything to work perfectly on first release. Hell, it took XP about a year until it was really good to use.

Besides, you can't blame Apple for developers not ensuring compatibility before release. I'm sure it will all be fine within a month.