Snow Leopard: Yes or No?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cwazytech, Aug 30, 2009.

1. cwazytech macrumors 6502

These forums are so interesting sometimes. Since SL's release I've been looking for feedback on whether or not people like SL. Given it's not a leap forward in OS's I'm wondering for $30 if people are glad they switched. Yet most forums seem to be all about what's wrong with SL. So I ask yes or no? Worth it or not worth it? Glad or unhappy?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes, you can always buy it and just wait until 10.6.1

3. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

There is already a poll on this.

Out of approximately 170 respondents 145 say they are either completely satisfied with SL or are fairly satisfied with it.

That's about 85% who are either very happy or satisfied.

I'd say that's pretty damn good for a point zero release. Certainly better than how Leopard fared upon its release.

4. 22Hertz macrumors regular

The question now becomes out of that %85 how many are die hard fans who would speak no evil of the big fruit?

SL is a tremendous value at $30 and brings real useful change to an already fantastic OS.

5. megatronbomb macrumors regular

megatronbomb

This has been asked and answered over and over. Read through the first few pages of posts and reach your own conclusion.

6. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

The people you see complaining about snow leopard are just for minor problems or are unhappy because they cannot install it on older macintosh or hackintosh.

For those of up who runs a 2009 apple workstation and have the money to buy the original software... There's nothing to complain and worth the upgrade.

7. spencerphoto macrumors newbie

My CS4 crashed every 5 minutes since installing Snow Leopard. Apple has ZERO answers and referred me to Adobe.

8. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

In all fairness, there are legitimate problems with SL, but they are relatively minor for most people and on the whole this is a very smooth upgrade.

A lot of people are crying because the release does not include piles of new eye candy, but they will benefit far more from the 64 bit turbo boost of SL as new applications are optimized to make use of it.

9. yettimillan macrumors regular

Id say wait until a couple of updates come out for it.

10. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I am in no hurry to switch over.

I'll probably wait for 10.6.1 to see what was addressed before making the leap!

I figure I better fully recover from the hard drive crash last week first! :D

11. iFanboy Guest

Well, that's only fair now isn't it? How can apple possibly support third party apps when it has no access to the code?

I wonder what MS would say if I whined that iTunes on Windows was slow? They'd refer me to apple.

Tbf I don't see why you even contacted Apple in the first place (saying they have zero answers implies you asked the question)

12. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

CS4 is listed as compatible on the SL wiki. Many users are apparently running it without crashing it.

Try logging in as another user and see if CS4 crashes every 5 mins. If it does not then you might need to wipe out some cache data, preferences, etc.

13. helix21 macrumors regular