Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'iMac' started by funter, Apr 24, 2015.

1. funter macrumors member

I have an IMac that has Snow Leopard on it. I am having problems with HD and Disk Utility says it can only be repaired using the installation discs which I have lost. If I buy another copy of Snow Leopard will it work with the new installation discs?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Yes

But if you have another mac with another OS on it you can create a bootable USB drive and install that.

3. Eithanius macrumors 65816

That depends on which iMac and what version of Snow Leopard it initially came in.... Because if you were to buy the retail copy of Snow Leopard that comes with 10.6.3, and your original disc came in say, 10.6.6, you're screwed...

Like Samuelsan said, if you can get hold of another Mac, best you can download the latest OS X and create a bootable USB drive to install...

Else contact AppleCare for a replacement disc for a fee...

4. funter thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I'm not very knowledgeable about this type of thing - when you say create a bootable USB drive - please can you explain how I do that. Would I just use this to perform disk utility or does it completely replace Snow Leopard?

5. redheeler, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015

redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

What model iMac do you have? If it is capable of running Yosemite you can download that, make a bootable USB, and boot from it.

----------

Only if you install it, just repairing the disk in Disk Utility won't.