Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Laurencia7, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

Just wondering if anyone upgraded, and what the pros and cons are...should i buy an upgrade to snow leopard?

2. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Snow Leopard was a total bust. No one upgraded and everyone went back to Tiger. Just do a search and you'll see all the discussion about it. ;)

3. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Hello.

I think that most people here have upgraded to Snow Leopard.

I did on two machines, a Mac Mini 2.1 and a Mac Pro 1.1

It does increase available space on the drive compared to Leopard. This is more noticeable on the Mini's small drive.
    It does seem to boot a bit faster.
    It seems to have improved graphics performance on the Mini's GMA 950 graphics. It didn't have much effect on the Pro's 8800GT graphics.
    It does have the built-in warning to help protect you against the very few Mac malwares out there.
    It had a few known bugs but only one that bothered me at all.

If you're upgrading from Leopard (10.5), it's the cheap $29 upgrade.
    If you're upgrading from Tiger (10.4) they want you to buy the Mac Box Set which includes iLife and iWork for $169.

My Mini shipped with Tiger so I bought the box set. It's a nice upgrade from Tiger.

My Mac Pro was already upgraded to Leopard so I just needed the $29 upgrade for that.

I suggest buying a new hard drive and installing Snow Leopard on that. Keep the old one intact for backup and in case you want to switch back.

Have Fun,
    Keri

4. Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info Keri, I will definitely think about it.

One question, if I upgrade does it wipe out my applications and files on my hd?

5. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

No, upgrading the OS will NOT wipe out your applications or your files.

6. Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

7. Hmac macrumors 68020

I've seen complaints about Snow Leopard here on MR, but I have it on 5 machines around the house and work, multiple users, and haven't had a single issue.

8. Coldmode macrumors regular

If you're running Tiger and don't mind reinstalling apps/moving files back and forth on an external, you can still perform a clean install with the $30 Snow Leopard disk.

If you do upgrade from Leopard or Snow Leopard, be sure to back up your files anyhow. There's no telling what can happen with an upgrade, even on a Mac (though I would recommend installing OS X through an upgrade 1000 times more than Windows). The Help Desk I work in at uni has seen more than a few upgrades go horribly wrong, and thankfully it's our policy not to perform heavy OS work unless the user backs up.