Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RandiC, Jul 10, 2010.

1. RandiC macrumors member

I have a 2007 macbook pro the hard drive crashed installed a new one it came with tiger I do not have the restore disks. I just bought a copy of snow Leopard how do I instal it? I partitioned and erased the new drive but I get an error saying I need 10.5 to install Snow Leopard. Can I get around this?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

If you're installing onto an empty HDD from an actual retail SL DVD it wouldn't ask you to install Leopard first. Ya sure you're not using an SL upgrade DVD?

3. RandiC thread starter macrumors member

It is an upgrade DVD

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

How could you have purchased an upgrade DVD? Where did you get it from if you don't mind me asking because the retail version of SL is standard install DVD that can be installed onto an empty drive, not an upgrade disc.
    Since it's an upgrade disc you can't install SL without a previous install of 10.5. The Mac does a system check first to verify 10.5 being installed and then allows for the SL upgrade disc to install.

5. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

If it's an upgrade DVD then you got the wrong one, you need a retail DVD to make a clean install of SL, otherwise the upgradde will be searching for Leopard to be installed on your HDD.