Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Much prefer QT X over previous player. Great to just have a thin border, nothing else when watching. Using 2 finger swipe to skim is also useful.
You get accustomed/Used to Snow Leopard v. quickly.

donbenjy

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
um, couldn't you two-finger swipe in Leopard? I did it today in DVD Player on a unibody pro :eek:

hakuryuu

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Lomita, CA
For me the biggest improvements will be HFS+ reading in bootcamp and being able to find out what the hell is still using my usb drives when I try to eject them. Dock expose is cool too.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Everything is a bit faster than in Leopard, especially Photoshop. Haven't really noticed anything major yet. Quicktime's screen recording and better iChat are the best so far

donbenjy

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
That is very useful! Though I suspect most of the time it'll just be Pro Tools that grabs control of everything :)

mgridgaway

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
Not so much an improvement, but I'm happy they finally fixed disc repair. Used to <5 minutes, with Leopard it took 20-30, now with Snow Leopard it's back to <5.

Everything does feel a bit more responsive, but it's unclear to me whether that is because I did a fresh install or whether things are actually better. I think we'll start seeing the real benefit 6 months from now.

H&Kie

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2004
I'm not done playing with OS 10.6 by long, but at this moment I mostly like the speed increase.
It's rather noticible on my 2,4 alu MacBook. QTX doesn't look too bad either

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Things just seem so much quicker and smoother for me. I'm really pleased with the speed and the little gui tweaks are nice too.

The dock expose feature is a genius idea too. No need to hunt for specific windows when multitasking.

duggram

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2008
Everything is faster. Xcode, MSOffiec, Safari. Great first impressions.

Not sure what to do with the 4-finger swipe. More learning....

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
You almost have to wonder if this could have just been an update in software update rather than selling a disk as Snow Leopard.

vrillusions

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio, US
One of the small things I'm happy about is you can now show the date in titlebar without any hacks (system preferences > date & time > clock). Also the minimize to app (system preferences > dock) makes the dock look cleaner. Speaking of, upgrading reset the smoke dock mod that I need to find the files for again. aside from that I'm liking it so far

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I'm running SL for a couple of hours now and everything seems solid. I even got Glims and Safari AdBlock to work (running Safari in 32-bit). I 'm just missing my iStat Menus, but other than that, the overall feeling is that everything is snappier indeed.
Upgrade went smooth, in under an hour, and all the tweaks are welcomed.

I just notice that Airport now has a new animation when searching for Wireless networks. Looks cool :)

mgridgaway

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
It'd be a pretty huge download. Almost everything changed, sometimes in rather significant ways (although generally not visible ones).

Right. There are many things addressed in this version that just could not have been easily done through a service pack. If it made more sense practically and financially, they would've done a download, but it was just easily to offer a new version.

pb1300

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
Aigio, Greece
I'm running SL for a couple of hours now and everything seems solid. I even got Glims and Safari AdBlock to work (running Safari in 32-bit). I 'm just missing my iStat Menus, but other than that, the overall feeling is that everything is snappier indeed.
Upgrade went smooth, in under an hour, and all the tweaks are welcomed.

I just notice that Airport now has a new animation when searching for Wireless networks. Looks cool :)

One wierd thing is that iStat is working on my older iMac, but not on my new UMB.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
In addition to some of the items mentioned above, I like the Set Desktop Background option in Finder. Also the ability to upload videos to Mobile Me from within QT.

Shanesan

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2006
All you fancy young folk with your new-fangled 64-bit processors!

Back in my day,.... well...

I have a Core Duo. 32-bit dual core Macbook Pro.

I don't see these speed increases, obviously. However, I have run into bugs already.

My favorite feature is the use of minimize is back with Exposé's preview option showing the minimized stuff. It's VERY useful and screen organizing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.