Snow Leopard's Best Improvement?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Benjamindaines, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

For those of you that have already installed Snow Leopard and have been using it; in your opinion, what is the best new feature / Improvement over Leopard?

2. cuestakid macrumors 68000

larger icon previews, HFS+ Reading, Expose/Dock enhancements, PDF enhancements are so far my favorites

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Much prefer QT X over previous player. Great to just have a thin border, nothing else when watching. Using 2 finger swipe to skim is also useful.
    You get accustomed/Used to Snow Leopard v. quickly.

4. donbenjy macrumors 6502

um, couldn't you two-finger swipe in Leopard? I did it today in DVD Player on a unibody pro :eek:

5. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

For me the biggest improvements will be HFS+ reading in bootcamp and being able to find out what the hell is still using my usb drives when I try to eject them. Dock expose is cool too.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Everything is a bit faster than in Leopard, especially Photoshop. Haven't really noticed anything major yet. Quicktime's screen recording and better iChat are the best so far

7. donbenjy macrumors 6502

What's this about usb drives? I've not heard anything about that:eek:

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If your trying to eject your external HD, it'll tell you what app is using it so you can quit the app. Not a big thing but very useful and smart

9. donbenjy macrumors 6502

That is very useful! Though I suspect most of the time it'll just be Pro Tools that grabs control of everything :)

10. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Not so much an improvement, but I'm happy they finally fixed disc repair. Used to <5 minutes, with Leopard it took 20-30, now with Snow Leopard it's back to <5.

Everything does feel a bit more responsive, but it's unclear to me whether that is because I did a fresh install or whether things are actually better. I think we'll start seeing the real benefit 6 months from now.

11. H&Kie macrumors regular

I'm not done playing with OS 10.6 by long, but at this moment I mostly like the speed increase.
    It's rather noticible on my 2,4 alu MacBook. QTX doesn't look too bad either

12. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

is there a place with a list of all the new usable features in Snow Leopard?

13. helix21 macrumors regular

Microsoft office for mac 08 works with spaces!!!!

14. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Things just seem so much quicker and smoother for me. I'm really pleased with the speed and the little gui tweaks are nice too.

The dock expose feature is a genius idea too. No need to hunt for specific windows when multitasking.

15. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

Everything is faster. Xcode, MSOffiec, Safari. Great first impressions.

Not sure what to do with the 4-finger swipe. More learning....

16. jk111 macrumors regular

17. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

You almost have to wonder if this could have just been an update in software update rather than selling a disk as Snow Leopard.

18. vrillusions macrumors regular

vrillusions

One of the small things I'm happy about is you can now show the date in titlebar without any hacks (system preferences > date & time > clock). Also the minimize to app (system preferences > dock) makes the dock look cleaner. Speaking of, upgrading reset the smoke dock mod that I need to find the files for again. aside from that I'm liking it so far

19. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I'm running SL for a couple of hours now and everything seems solid. I even got Glims and Safari AdBlock to work (running Safari in 32-bit). I 'm just missing my iStat Menus, but other than that, the overall feeling is that everything is snappier indeed.
    Upgrade went smooth, in under an hour, and all the tweaks are welcomed.

I just notice that Airport now has a new animation when searching for Wireless networks. Looks cool :)

20. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

It'd be a pretty huge download. Almost everything changed, sometimes in rather significant ways (although generally not visible ones).

21. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Right. There are many things addressed in this version that just could not have been easily done through a service pack. If it made more sense practically and financially, they would've done a download, but it was just easily to offer a new version.

22. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Internet connections keep getting faster though. Perhaps in the future :)

23. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

One wierd thing is that iStat is working on my older iMac, but not on my new UMB.

24. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

In addition to some of the items mentioned above, I like the Set Desktop Background option in Finder. Also the ability to upload videos to Mobile Me from within QT.

25. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

All you fancy young folk with your new-fangled 64-bit processors!

Back in my day,.... well...

I have a Core Duo. 32-bit dual core Macbook Pro.

I don't see these speed increases, obviously. However, I have run into bugs already.

My favorite feature is the use of minimize is back with Exposé's preview option showing the minimized stuff. It's VERY useful and screen organizing.