Snow Leopard's "Substitutions" is a complete disappointment.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jmann, Aug 28, 2009.

1. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Is it just me or is the autocorrect "substitutions" feature in SL is a big let down. I finally found it under the Language & Text in the System Preferences, and the list they give you is really measly. I thought it was gonna come with a big list of words that will be fixed automatically? I don't want to have to enter every word in by hand. :rolleyes: What do you think?

Here is the "list"

And, it only works in certain apps, also needing that the "text replacement" needs to be turned on in every app. I hope that I don't have to enable it every time I restart.

Attached Files:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I agree, the default list should be more comprehensive.

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

Not only that, it is not even system wide. It can only work in Cocoa based text fields of which you have to enable manually. Completely a let down. I was hoping for something like a really basic textexpander but look like I just have to to continue using it.

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I agree, I was hoping it would be as full as MS Word.

5. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I too think it should be more comprehensive but as long as I can add my own I am fine but it just depends on what apps it works with.

!sig <-doesnt work here I guess

6. donbenjy macrumors 6502

typinator is a good alternative. I don't think its free, as I got it with macheist, but it won't be expensive. I don't remember if it has a big list of words pre-loaded, but it is system wide:cool: