Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattbough

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Just tried to update my mac to snow lep and then all seemed well it said that it installed correctly after doing a full format clean install, i thought i was in luck when i booted it up nothing happend juts a white screen and then it booted from the hard drive, since tehn i pressed the options button and realised that the hard drive was not availible to boot from, although after that i then put the install disk in and it all seemed to be installed fine on the hard drive any idea about how to make the hard drive bootable again?

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
just did same thing a couple days ago...

-imac intel 2.0...i did a full erase (writing zeros) single partition,retail sl dvd

without knowing your comp ill ask these...

-retail dvd? not someone elses grey recovery disks?
-intel imac?
-before install it showed the drive you formated and partitioned?

have you tryed resetting pram?

mattbough

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
yes its an intel mac with retail disks and w/e no idea what pram is, if you would please explain, and i formatted and partitioned before installing with 2 parts to a guid thing lol im not good with macs only just started lol

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
humm you partitioned drive into two parts,,perhaps the mac is booting to the non snowleopard part?

to select a drive at boot...turn on imac,press option key before "chime" sound,select drive to boot from

to reset you pram...turn on imac,press Command-Option-P-R keys before "chime" sound...continue to hold down these 4 keys until you hear second "chime" release and pram will be reset

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.