Snow Lep Serv. MySQL problem with Wordpress

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Debbi, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Debbi macrumors newbie

I've been researching the problem all day and need some help.

WordPress can't connect to the MySQL DB.

1) I installed MySQL via the package from MySQL.com (64-bit)
    2) /etc/my.cnf shows that socket is at /var/mysql/mysql.sock
    3) I check and there is no socket at /tmp/mysql.sock (does not exist)
    4) My php.ini file in /etc/php.ini has "msqli.default_socket = /var/mysql/mysql.sock

I've tried to set wp-config.php to:

define('DB_HOST', 'localhost');

also tried:

define('DB_HOST, 'localhost:/var/mysql/mysql.sock');

When loading the wordpress site, I get the:

Error establishing a database connection

I confirmed the username, dbname and password with Querious

Any ideas?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Personally I'd advise installing MAMP for local development.

3. xboxphanatic macrumors member

I just recently moved my wordpress install to Leopard server. I'm just using the built in mysql service that comes with the OS. For php I used this build which includes many of the more common modules.

That setup seems to be working fine for me, but the MAMP install mentioned above might be a little easier to get going.

4. Debbi thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved

Okay, so there were 2 problems:

1) I must have edited the wrong php.ini file. I found the command "php --ri mysql" which listed all the config settings for MySQL. I found that I was pointing to /tmp/mysql.sock instead of /var/mysql/mysql.sock. A quick edit to /etc/myphp.ini fixed this (changed /tmp in 2 locations to /var/mysql)

2) Second problem. Password for my wordpress account wasn't correct in wp-config.php. I changed it to match and that fixed it all.

So it was really user error. Snow Leopard and new MySQL installs put the socket at /var/mysql/mysql.sock instead of the old location of /tmp/mysql.sock (for some kind of security reasons). Both PHP and wordpress need to know about this to work properly. The real key was finding out about the "php --ri mysql" command, which quickly let me debug things.