Snow-proof case? Needed for winter sports.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by BigDaddy5, Jan 27, 2008.

1. BigDaddy5 macrumors member

Anybody have any good recommendations for a winter case? I've been taking my iphone snowboarding with me, and so far it's been fine. But last night, it snowed, and my iphone had more condensate on the glass than I would have liked. I would like a case that will keep it dry when I'm on the mountain. Any suggestions?

On a side note, it's pretty fun to answer the phone and talk to your friends while going down the mountain! Most don't believe me at first.

2. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

3. thepandamancan macrumors member

thepandamancan

I went snowboarding a couple weeks ago and I was terrified of bringing my iPhone with me but I thought, if I fall and hurt myself (which happened frequently and causes me pain to this very day) I could call for my friends or help faster.

I have the iSkin Revo case and it really protected the thing. I made the mistake of not putting it in a weatherproof pocket so sometimes ice would get inside my jacket and get the phone wet but the case stopped it from actually getting to the phone. It's also got a plastic cover for the screen which also protected it from the melting snow in my pocket.

The iSkin is not the ideal case but the otterbox just seems expensive and clunky (although it's the best case for this situation and it's definitely waterproof). I think you'd be fine with something like the iSkin and just stick in a weatherproof pocket.

Btw, these iPhones are pretty sturdy. Forget about it getting wet. It was my first time snowboarding so I was afraid of falling on my iPhone and I did several times. I had one bad fall where I fell chest/stomach first right on top of my iPhone and it's still working fine.

4. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

Crushing it isn't an issue. You're probably more apt to bruise a bone than break your phone if you fall on it. As far as weatherproofing, iSkin Revo + storm sealed jacket pocket FTW. That's what I did last week in Breckenridge and it worked great.

One downside: you can't use the phone with gloves on!!! People kept texting me and I didn't want to stop to set down my poles, take off my gloves, take off my glove liners, etc, etc.

5. BigDaddy5 thread starter macrumors member

Keystone/Breckenridge is a great resort. They have a really awesome snowboard terrain park. I nearly broke my knees hitting one of their kickers. I believe I landed about 30 yards from the actual lip, onto the flat part of the terrain...not the landing... because I listened to some guys who didn't get enough speed and they hit the table top.

Anyway, I think I'm goign to go with an otterbox. I really want something that's for sure waterproof, and they seem to have a sweet lifetime warranty and guarantee.

6. thepandamancan macrumors member

thepandamancan

That's exactly what happened to me haha

7. iwood macrumors newbie

Dude,

enjoy life, forget about the phone for awhile and go ride. Who cares about texting while riding/skiing.

8. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

1. wrap it in cling film and it will work nicely :D:D:D
    2. that armour casing is too bricky! and too expensive ;) you don't work in a mine do you?

9. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

Exactly. That's why I didn't set down my poles...etc. ;)

10. Puck. macrumors member

Puck.

Uh, this is why you snowboard.

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Here's your case...

Attached Files: