SnowLeopard at GM yet?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by grooveattack, Aug 4, 2009.

1. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

has it got there yet or is there more seeds to come?
    only a month and abit to go (hopefully)

2. celticpride678

Not officially. Apple is calling it a Developer Preview. Not a beta or Gold Master either.

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

We won't know until there is a leak. Devs are always under NDA until the final release. The closer Apple gets to GM stage, the smaller the number of beta testers. They would probably close the seeding program to very limited amount of top ADC members. We just have to wait and see.

4. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I guess the NDA is not that strong. There are plenty of leaks in this thread here that has everyone boasting about how great Snow Leopard is running on the Apple Air. Of course, some of the posters are probably running a torrented version of Snow Leopard.

5. MikhailT macrumors 601

Those are not ADC devs under NDA. It only takes one ADC member to leak it to the world. Everybody there is just using that leaked build, nothing else. It isn't that hard to find it considering how popular OS X has become and how much easier it is to get stuff on the Internet over time, in fact you just need to visit one site daily and you'll find everything you need.

6. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

Well, the last actual "seeded" build was 10A380, given in disc form at WWDC--there have since been 4 kernel updates to that build distributed online via software update. In the latest, 10A421a, the kernel is officially final (10.0.0), so I am betting that there won't be many more 'update' seeds (if any). All subsequent changes will be minute, mainly consisting of bugfixes to kernel-mode drivers that need to be reworked for the pure native x64 version of the OS.

7. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Funny thing about this, is that the 10.0.0 has been the first update/release thats been truely buggy for me. I would say they still have some fine tuning to do.

Also, I imagine many developers will be struggling to release updates once SL has been released. Many programs (especially ones that run from 32bit prefpanes) have some serious issues that cause system instability.

8. bakerster macrumors regular

i agree...

sorta like when betas for the iphone os were coming out, they seemed to get just a tiny bit buggier on each release

9. MikhailT macrumors 601

That's just life in the software industry, it happens after every major OS release and every developer goes through the motion. The kernel has been greatly re-tuned which means there are bounds to be issues, no matter how minor the changes are toward APIs for backward compatibility.

Apple is well known among hardcore Mac users for crappy first revision releases, no matter how well it was tested. I normally wait til second or third revisions of hardware products and 10.x.3 for OS updates but many times I just can't wait and gave in. So far I have been happy with no major issues, things just get resolved over time.

As for your issue, it is possible something got corrupted via updating your installation, many people got their instability resolved by reinstalling SL and updating again.

I don't honestly think it's healthy for any OS to be constantly updated without all the files intact 4-5 times in a row in less than two months. Many things can go wrong. Apple probably stopped the software update seeds and switch back to a complete image seed for the ADC seeds for another round of testing. Which means it'll take a while for us to see any kind of leak, it usually takes two to four weeks to actually see that kind of seed leaks but we know for sure that Apple is far ahead of us in builds, possibly a month or two ahead from what we're seeing now.