Snowy screen on unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alphaod, Dec 30, 2008.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have this weird issue on my MBP. Every time I go to the boot screen after holding option to choose Windows, I get this snowy screen like the ones you get from static on your TV. It only lasts a few seconds. However that's the only time it ever happens and I can run graphic intensive applications and such without any errors in the both OS X and Windows. I captured it on my phone as shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL7EJxFoMtE

I'm really bewildered to what the issue is, and I don't want to carry my monitory and computer to the store unless I need to.

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Whoa~ that is definitely not normal. I've never seen any macbook pro exhibit those symptoms.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I'm fairly sure thats a problem with your inverter, take it back to your nearest Apple Store and get them to have a look at it for you because if its starting to break already you dont want to be out of warranty when it finally kicks the bucket.

4. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

I thought LED panels didn't have an inverter.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

no your right but they have an equivalent to control led brightness, otherwise there would be no manual brightness control which of course MAC OS X does have and the problem is here.

6. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Is the display the 24" cinema or the MBP LED (it looks like it's the cinema). On the MBP when windows is started the LED goes blank for a second like video goes off while the drivers load. If you are getting static on the cinema, but not on the MBP, then I would guess it's probably normal and caused by the displayport not driving correctly for a couple of seconds.

7. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah it only happens on the monitor. This didn't happen before, only maybe a few days ago.