Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
What would be great, would be for Apple take onboard this annoying aspect of the new connector, work with what Snuglet is, and release a new magsafe 2. Same connector, stronger magnet.

Or just fix it, piss everyone off and make Magsafe 3

I've owned three t-shaped connectors, and one L-shaped one. The only one that had a problem with cable strain was the L-shaped one. It was also harder to get attached. The old t-shaped ones were the best. The L-shaped ones never worked well for me as the cable goes back instead of off the the left. When it goes back at 90deg from the port it is very easy to come loose or bend in an odd direction.

Hmm I think it would be awesome if Apple could make Magsafe 3 swivel. That would be the best since people use their laptops in all sorts of location and position. Some have the power point located on their left, some at the back, etc. In my situation, I have the power point on my right when I'm using my MacBook at my most preferred location and body positioning - I would've liked the L-shaped one.

Michael Belisle

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
College Station, TX, USA
Interesting how many people can find solutions for problems that don't exist, and band-aids for problems that stem from improper use. ... If I'm putting force on it, I expect it to disconnect - adjust workflow/workspace appropriately.

Actually, no I've never had that happen. MagSafe has IMO just the right amount of "grab vs give".

I'm sorry, but it seems like most of these Apple-related kick starter projects are solutions in search of problems.

Well, if you two haven't personally had this problem, then of course nobody in the world has.

Personally, I can't speak to MagSafe 1. This product is for MagSafe 2, which is the only MagSafe I know. It disconnects all the time. Maybe that's because I treat my 11" MBA like it's a "laptop" rather than a "stationarytop-for-use-on-ideal-work-surfaces-only." I'll make a note that I'm doing it wrong. Thanks for the helpful advice.

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co
I would use a product like this; however, their price point is ridiculous and I'm concerned this might make the cable just a bit too difficult to remove when necessary (eg. tripping on wire).

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I Backed it...My cats are always knocking the power plug out of my rMBP when its on my desk.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Also, they want $20 for international shipping? :eek:

This thing probably weighs less than the envelope you could mail it in.

Wow.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
What junk. These Kickstarter projects are getting a little bit out of hand. You WANT the connector to disconnect... that the entire idea. This is basically so your cable ends up on the floor and not your MacBook.

And $12? These guys need to find a Chinese connection. In China, that's less than a buck in materials AND labor.

Do people really have magnet issues? I've never once had a magnet issue with any Apple products, and I've owned every one of their laptops with magnets.

Oh, can someone make it so my Apple iPad cover won't come off please! I'd really like a product that made the magnet so strong my cover will never get loose. I'm sure Kickstarter will save the day on this one.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
What's funny is in all my years using MacBooks, I've never been in a situation where I could say "thank goodness MagSafe saved my Mac".

I like it more for the ability to easily attach to my Mac for charging. I find the detachability to be an annoyance.

I guess you don't have children! They constantly trip over the most out-of-the-way cords. My Macbook's are about the only thing they haven't sent flying off my coffee table by tripping over the cord because they pop out like they are supposed to.

I wouldn't buy this product at ALL. I'd rather have an easily detached power connector than a broken macbook! Slight irritation due to a power supply that disconnects or $1500 down the drain... No thank you.

----------

I Backed it...My cats are always knocking the power plug out of my rMBP when its on my desk.

So you'd rather have them knock your rMBP off your desk when they catch the power cord?

Yep that makes sense.

Too bad your rMBP doesn't have a battery so that when they accidentally pop the cord out it doesn't die. Oh wait. IT DOES.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
So, Magsafe is too lose? They created something to tighten it, and created a new problem, it can be too tight. So, within the same video introduction, they also introduced a tool to remove it and fix their problem? Nice.

JoeyCloverfield

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Actually, no I've never had that happen. MagSafe has IMO just the right amount of "grab vs give".

I'm sorry, but it seems like most of these Apple-related kick starter projects are solutions in search of problems.

Or solutions to problems only a small percentage of people experience.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
You missed the point of magsafe. :rolleyes: It is supposed to come out when your cats are tripping on the cables.

I have a simple solution for you. Get rid of your cats. You might actually start thinking clearly again once you stop being exposed to toxoplasmosis parasites eating your brain alive.

Without cats, not only would you not have them pulling out your cables but you would regain the ability to understand the purpose of mag safe connectors.

Pets belong outside and if you don't have a yard then you should not have a four legged pet. Keeping animals locked inside an apartment is animal cruelty.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Seriously, how many Kickstarter projects do we need for these adaptors? More than actual people using them.

jjlannoo

Suspended
Oct 8, 2011
You missed the point of magsafe. :rolleyes: It is supposed to come out when your cats are tripping on the cables.

I have a simple solution for you. Get rid of your cats. You might actually start thinking clearly again once you stop being exposed to toxoplasmosis parasites eating your brain alive.

Without cats, not only would you not have them pulling out your cables but you would regain the ability to understand the purpose of mag safe connectors.

Pets belong outside and if you don't have a yard then you should not have a four legged pet. Keeping animals locked inside an apartment is animal cruelty.

Pretty ignorant statements . Read up next time.

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple's MagSafe 2 power adapter, which was introduced alongside the Retina MacBook Pro in 2012, reincorporates the T-shaped connector design that was previously abandoned for an "L" style MagSafe connector due to issues with the strain that the "T" style connector placed on the power adapter cable.

The Snuglet, a newly introduced Kickstarter project, aims to keep MagSafe 2 power adapter cables securely fastened to MacBooks by incorporating a small ring that increases the connector's magnetic connection.

Is it just me or does my Magsafe 2 work just fine, with a very strong link.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
What's funny is in all my years using MacBooks, I've never been in a situation where I could say "thank goodness MagSafe saved my Mac".

I like it more for the ability to easily attach to my Mac for charging. I find the detachability to be an annoyance.

My ex wife walked by and snagged the cord on my Compaq laptop years ago, and it damaged the power port on the laptop so that it never stayed secure again, and I had to hold it in order to charge. The fix would have been a new MoBo. About $800. The MagSafe is a work of genius. Period.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
After a bad experience I've had involving a 11" MBA with a L-type MagSafe and a dog running around the house, I don't want MagSafe adapters to be more "secure" again. T-type ones are intentionally loose to serve a purpose...

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Please share your Third World Problems with us. :rolleyes:

Well, according to the traditional definition of Third World (Allied with the USA = First World; allied with the Soviet Union = Second World; other = Third World), they encompass the full range of problems.

According to the typical person's understanding of the term, it's more accurately referred to as the undeveloped countries. There, you have problems like: starvation, malnutrition, petty warlords, roving rape gangs, disease, etc.

Hey, you asked...

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Looks like he missed the point of MagSafe. It's supposed to disconnect!!

With this 'snuglet' fitted, your MacBook will be ripped off your table when you trip over a cable.

Also, when using your macbook on your lap, you don't rest the MagSafe on your leg, you rest the laptop on your leg, so that video is complete rubbish.
The copy for this product should be, "for people who want to use a standard power cord with their MacBook."

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
For all you people proclaiming this is a "solution in search of a problem" -- did it ever occur to you that (gasp) the fact that you don't have a problem doesn't mean that other people don't? Or that (gasp again) different people use their laptops differently?

I'm not sure on this particular solution, but the problem is very real -- and not one I ever had with all my MagSafe 1 devices. My bed is somewhat elevated. The AC adapter brick sits on the floor. As such, the cord is fairly taut. If I move up vertically -- even a little -- it comes dislodged. The reason is torque. That's the same reason why it feels snug if you take your thumb and press down on the metal part that connects to the laptop.

MagSafe 1 was great and provided a fantastic trade off between safety and functionality. MagSafe 2 drives me insane. I shouldn't have to change my work habits and location because of a piss poor design decision.

wordup60

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2012
Interesting, I wonder if this would reintroduce the original problems with the old T-Shaped Magsafe?

Man I hated the T.

The design on the L Magsafe is alot more matching to Apple, I still can't help but wonder why they didnt shrink the L for magsafe 2.

Because the L defeats the purpose of magsafe. Try pulling on the power cord of an L-connected magsafe. It will send your laptop flying. The only connection that ensures a disconnect when force is applied is perpendicular, i.e. the T.

I always thought the L was sacrificing function for sleeker looks and welcomed the return of the T.

srourslaw

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Singapore
Just for Idiots

WTF :mad:, most of us when lying on bed we used our laptop WITHOUT charger plugged to it, the battery last for 7 to 12 hours now :rolleyes:

Interesting how many people can find solutions for problems that don't exist, and band-aids for problems that stem from improper use. I have here a MagSafe 1 adaptor from the original MacBook Pro that has never had a problem - I just make sure that anyone using it uses it properly. Problem solved. It gets used almost every day, connected/disconnected several times a day by many different people over the years.
I also have a MagSafe 2 equipped 13" Retina. I have never noticed a propensity to disconnect unexpectedly. If I'm putting force on it, I expect it to disconnect - adjust workflow/workspace appropriately.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
WTF :mad:, most of us when lying on bed we used our laptop WITHOUT charger plugged to it, the battery last for 7 to 12 hours now :rolleyes:

Who are you to proclaim what "most" people do? Also, that's a really stupid thing to do. Your battery has a limited number of charge cycles. If the bed is your main place of work, you ought to be plugged in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.