Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Has anyone come across these ?

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/SNUGLET/

I just got one, and unlike the new Megasafe 2 adapters which keep falling out this magnet holds it better like the older Megasafe bricks did making things much easier...

Is there a technical reason why Apple used not as good a magnets on the port of these new Mac's? I'd like to know the reason.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I use one.
It sure makes for a firmer connection but I do wonder what would happen if the cord really did get yanked.
I think Apple designed it to disengage easily to prevent stress to both the laptop and the charger and with the snuglet I bet the charger cord would get at least some damage after a good yank.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Is there a technical reason why Apple used not as good a magnets on the port of these new Mac's? I'd like to know the reason.

Of course there is, but you'd have to ask Apple to know for sure. I do have one, though. It makes the connection harder to break, and since the point of MagSafe is to break when pulled, I would bet that's the reason Apple designed it the way they did.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I got one for my wife. She loves it. She lays in bed on her back and uses the laptop at night. Pre-snuglet, the cord would lean up against the comforter and frequently become dislodged and fall off the bed. Post-snuglet, no such issues.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Maybe overpriced, but it's well worth it..

I just got mine today, and it works as advertised. Maybe Apple made the new Megasafe 2 less magnet-y, because since the ultrabooks a thin, a good yank of the cord would send the macbook flying across the room.

I could see how that could be damaging, and why Apple did it this way to offset the lesser weight, but perhaps a bit stronger....

I just gotta be more careful that's all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.