So 10.10.3 broke my MacBook

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by jsmith189, Apr 9, 2015.

1. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Installed it fine, on first boot after install got a kernal error. Now I can get to the login screen but anytime I put my password in and it starts to login it does this. I can get onto a guest account though.

Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. jsmith189, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015

jsmith189 thread starter macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Update. Managed to boot into safe mode. It then went to the "finishing installation" screen. Seems to maybe be working now?

EDIT: Okay yeah, I endeed up booting into Safe Mode which finished the installation off. Backed up what I could, rebooted, prayed for the best and got back in. That was annoying.

3. loekf macrumors 6502

loekf

Scary... I still have nightmares from the evening I tried to upgrade a 2 weeks old iMac to Yosimite and after the first reboot it complained that the drive was bad. After attempts to repair the drive, I resorted to a recovery to Yosimite.. and fortunately this iMac is still working fine.

You would guess that with fixed known hardware there are less issues than e.g. Windows.

4. donlab macrumors 6502

donlab

backup often, if you have a old spinner hard drive in there it could be dying. I experienced the same behaviour with my mini then the drive died two weeks later.

5. jsmith189 thread starter macrumors 65816

jsmith189

I normally do every few months, but I know that's not enough lol. It's mainly my music I was concerned about, everything else is basically cloud based.

6. TETENAL macrumors member

Reboot into safe mode and uninstall the visicom manycam software which kernel extension crashes.