iPad So 128GB iPad - One chip or two?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sportsfrk214, Feb 8, 2013.

1. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

Do we know yet if the new 128GB iPad is made up of 2 64GB chips or 1 128GB chip? Logic seems to dicate that there would be two 64's, but others have said the logic board only fits one chip. This is obviously the biggest indicator as to whether the iPhone will get 128 at any time in the near future (since it definitely only supports one chip), so I was wondering if we have any confirmation yet.

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

A 128 GB iPhone?

That would seem like a really small market to me. I am not saying it would be impossible, but probably unlikely. I think the idea with the iPad is that some people (doctors and specialized professionals) have stuff (PDFs, applications, images) that they need for their professions. Most of us don't, and I'd guess that the 128 GB is kin dof a stopgap measure to tide everyone over until October. One chip or two on the iPad, it doesn't seem to me that the iPhone fits this niche very well.

What were you planning to do with 128 GB on the phone?

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Use it as an iPod.

4. silver8ack macrumors regular

Store more data?

My 64GB hits capacity. I have a lot of music, some movies, etc, and I take a lot of video with it.

5. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

I'll take a 128gb iPhone....

6. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I see the 128 GB capacity being a differentiator for the 9.7" iPad - especially when the mini gets retina. I see a lineup like this in the not so distant future:

iPad mini
    16 GB - $329/$459
    32 GB - $429/$559
    64 GB - $529/$659

iPad "pro"
    32 GB - $499/$629
    64 GB - $599/$729
    128GB - $699/$829

iPhone (cheap)
    16 GB - $349/free on contract
    32 GB - $449/$99 on contract

iPhone (4")
    16 GB
    32 GB - Whatever current iphone 5 prices are
    64 GB

iPhone (5")
    16 GB
    32 GB - $100 more than iPhone 4" in each category both unsubsidized and subsidized
    64 GB

I think the iPod touch may get the axe if the cheap iPhone comes to be, with the nano, shuffle and possibly a redesigned classic (with SSD) being the new iPod lineup. I also don't see any new colors being introduced into the iPhone lines (except maybe with the cheap one if it were to replace the iPod touch). They could potentially keep the iPod touch at the same price point with increased storage AND sell a cheap iPhone - would limit cannibalization.

This (IMO) would be a great lineup - they would refresh each line once each year and existing inventory of prior models would sell at a discount but not be produced or restocked.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

Wow. I have a 16 GB phone and a 32 GB iPad. The phone has 5 GB free, and the iPad has about 10. I "could" fill up 128 GB models of either one, because I have many terabytes of data, but I never thought the cost of the devices made it worth it. Even with the carrier subsidies, the phones seem outrageously priced (perhaps just the cost of carrying around a computer in your pocket).

Heck, I was planning on getting a 16GB iPad 5 or 6. LOL. I guess we all have different use cases.