So 15.4" Macbook Pro or some other Windows laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adamantoise, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

1. I need Windows (I shall be installing it on a partition)
    2. I do some light gaming (Civilization V, League of Legends etc)
    3. I love the 16:10 aspect ratio but 16:9 is not a deal breaker
    4. I love OS X
    5. I already bought a 250GB Samsung 840 SSD that I plan to put it in, now I'm having second thoughts.

Currently I own a 13.3" Macbook Pro 2011, I cannot stand the small screen anymore ... I usually use the computer for web browsing, MATLAB scripting, photo editing in Adobe Lightroom, and other miscellany.

So why am I hesitating? Well price for one. I also feel burned by Apple because of the ridiculously high cost it takes to repair computers that are not covered by Applecare (hard lesson learned).

I mean, I've even considered getting a cheap Windows laptop and just keeping my 13.3" Macbook Pro ... However, Apple just makes the machine I want in the package that I can carry around quite easily. All these other machines I'm looking at just have something off about them (they're either too heavy, too ugly, or have an awful screen).

Should I just bite the bullet? If I do buy this my 13.3" shall be going to my sister (faulty ctrl, shift, and option keys (left side) ... But she doesn't care)

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

To me it sounds like if you buy anything other than a mac you will end up regretting it. Obviously you could get way more bang for your buck in the windows world. Do you have other apple products or a specific need for a mac? I guess for you it sounds like aesthetics vs needs. It sounds like you need a windows PC, but really like the looks of a mac.

Personally, I would get the windows PC and keep the 13" pro. That way you get the most for your money, but still have access to a mac. If you try that and feel like you need a mac...return the PC.

3. throAU macrumors 603

throAU

Go for it. Consider a refurb or secondhand 2011 model also, theyre still quick and will handle everything you list just fine.

4. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well yeah, aesthetics is huge to me (I admit it).

I am a photographer and although most of my work has been done on OS X, it can easily be done on Windows.

I love a sturdy feeling computer.
    I love a portable computer (this is huge)
    I love a computer with a good battery life (this is huge)
    I love a computer with a decent trackpad (Macbook Pro is the only computer I've felt I didn't need a mouse for)
    I love being able to upgrade my parts.

I mean, I've looked, and no one does it better than Apple. I'm currently looking at any machine that at least has a 3rd gen i7, and an Nvidia GT650M, oh and screen resolution must at least be 900 pixels vertical (1440 x 900 or 1600 x 900)

I'm just tired of looking.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That, to me, is one of the major reasons I cannot go back to a windows laptop. The trackpads pale in comparison to mac's. Funny though b.c the closest thing I have found is the cheap chromebook.

6. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah it really is ridiculous how these small things just make a machine much more enjoyable to use.

However, I'm really considering this Lenovo Y500 just because of the sheer amount of money that I shall be saving.

But when I think about the long run (and not just gaming), the Macbook Pro is the only computer that I think I'll be happy with. I suppose I should just bite the bullet.

You only live once as they say.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Or try the Lenovo and if you don't like it return it. The savings would at least be worth giving it a go.

8. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well it's $500 savings, so I suppose I should give it a shot.

Only thing that pisses me off about the Lenovo (barring erratic trackpad issues and the short battery life ... these have been reported on the forums) is that the removable "Ultrabay" is not even available for sale yet.

This Ultrabay is the feature that makes this computer, pretty much it's a caddy that can be fitted with another Nvidia GT650M or an HDD/SSD.

Anyway, thanks for all the input, I'll have to make a decision soon.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Your call to make. It's not a one-size-fits-all matter. If you haven't tried the alternatives then it might be worth giving them a shot. I wouldn't buy another Windows laptop but that really doesn't mean anything with regard to your own preferences.

10. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Having read your posts so far I have the feeling you'll have major buyers remorse if you go down the Windows laptop route.