So 15 MBP or 13 MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FX4568, Feb 24, 2011.

1. FX4568 macrumors 6502

Okay, since 13 MBP graphics are worse than the MBP from last year I decided to go in the extremes. A awesomely light laptop or a heavy do it all laptop.
    Problem is I cant really decide.
    My needs vary. I run Word, itunes, surfing on the web. which I know the Air can handle easily, but then I play games such as Starcraft II, and some other games. My gaming usually consists of 1-2 hours a day. I know by a fact that the Air can run SCII in low, but will that affect performance later on?
    Currently I have a desktop, so I can do my gaming here, but since I go to college next year, I will end up using the laptop as main. (But since I go to college, theoretically I should decrease my gaming to a minimum)
    I do travel. sometimes around thousands of miles in a period of days but sometimes I stay in one place for few months.

I would either buy a top high end MBA (4Gb, 256 SSD) with student discount
    OR
    the MBP 15 high end but only 128 SSD.

Also, which one retains its value the most? Perhaps I can sell it around next year so I buy the new 13 inch MBP.
    Some input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Whitelightning macrumors regular

I'd say go with the 15'' MBP. Specwise, you'd be good.

Graphics will definitely be better, if you later decide to get more space, its easily upgradable. It allows you to wait on the SSD.

Given how this laptop has to last you through college, may be more advantageous to stay with hard drive for more space, and get aftermarket upgrade to SSD.

3. frunk macrumors member

4. FX4568 thread starter macrumors 6502

At least its processing power is not bottle necked by its GPU.

5. frunk macrumors member

I'm really nooby at these CPU/GPU things, but why would you want to game on a MBA? The thought of that baffles me. Besides intense gaming, what else is a powerful GPU good for (I'm dead serious; I want to understand so i can make a better purchase in the future).

6. FX4568 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you are underestimating the power of the macbook air.
    The SSD gives it so much power. and the 320m Nvidia is better than current 3000HD. 2.13 Core2duo is good enough for almost everything I do. (and u do)

GPU's are good for video editing, picture editing, anything that involves the use of graphic cards.
    And, not like the high end 15 inch is the best for gaming. neither laptops are top at gaming. I just want to find a middle point.
    The 13 MBP was perfect until I heard they had the 3000HD. Actually I will wait until actual people that know what are talking about (like CNET) say about the epicness or the failure of the 3000HD. Until then, I am lost :p