Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
My MacBook 13" M1 is scheduled to arrive on February 1st.

I ordered it in December but the 2TB hard drive and 16GB RAM gave me a six week delivery time.

Now, I'm hearing rumours of a 16" model being announced in March!

I actually wanted 16 inches to start with, but chose M1 over Intel.

Would you wait?

I suppose - realistically - it wouldn't be in my hands until May?

And... it might be a lot more expensive?
 

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
2,718
2,708
USA
The rumor is that Apple will be showing off the 12-core 16-inch M1. Price will most likely be the same as it is now
 

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
  • My MacBook M1 13" + 16GB RAM + 2TB hard drive cost £2,299.
  • Base Intel 13" + 16GB RAM + 2TB hard drive costs £2,399.
So they're almost the same cost.

Given that the 16" base MacBook Pro 16" with a 2TB hard drive costs £2,999 it seems likely that the 16" Apple Silcon model with a 2TB will cost around this price?

If that's the case, I feel pretty OK saving £600 - especially as I usually plug into a 27" 4K monitor.
 

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
2,153
4,343
It can be the 16" in March...or the 14" or the both...or the redesign imac...or no mac at all
We dont know....but, there are good chances to see the next line of new M chips macs
Here we guess those 3...or at least two from 14" 16" MBP 24" imac
Lets see....closer we get to March, rumours should start pop in

And yes, expect the 16" with 2Tb to cost around that price
 

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
19,314
19,324
I expect a higher end 13” or 13” (the $1799 model) to be released between March and may. The 16” should follow autumn next year.
 

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
12,256
6,408
US
Do you need to buy a computer now? Presumably not if you're able to wait six weeks for your order.

If the larger screen size is important to you, then wait for it to become available.

It'll be VERY expensive to buy a 13.3" 2TB model now then resell it for a 16" 2TB model later.

As for any validity to the rumors -- we're effectively in uncharted territory. While it's expected that Apple will release the four-port Apple Silicon models (likely 16" plus a smaller one whether 13.3 or 14), any guess as to when that happens during 2021 or even early 2022 is exactly that - a guess. Not really something you ought to bet a bunch of money on.
 

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Do you need to buy a computer now? Presumably not if you're able to wait six weeks for your order.

If the larger screen size is important to you, then wait for it to become available.

It'll be VERY expensive to buy a 13.3" 2TB model now then resell it for a 16" 2TB model later.

As for any validity to the rumors -- we're effectively in uncharted territory. While it's expected that Apple will release the four-port Apple Silicon models (likely 16" plus a smaller one whether 13.3 or 14), any guess as to when that happens during 2021 or even early 2022 is exactly that - a guess. Not really something you ought to bet a bunch of money on.
My last MacBook died in December, while I was in Lisbon.

I ordered the MacBook M1 and bought a Google PixelBook Go.

Right now I'm in the UK and plan to head back to Portugal once I get my M1 MacBook.

I can run 80% of my marketing business on my Google PixelBook Go (sales copy and website design) but I can't edit graphics/video.

I could wait another couple of months, but not - say - six months.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Captain Trips

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
15,151
32,595
Honestly, I'd wait.

Based upon what Apples' said about the transition time here, it stands to reason that the remaining parts of the laptop line are "next" -- and no doubt with even more power and M goodness.

I think Spring - Summer at the latest.
 

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
19,314
19,324
The 14.1" would likely replace the existing 13.3" Pro. There's far too much overlap happening right now with the Air and Pro.

The higher-end pro, yes. The fate of the two-port Pro remains a mystery.
 

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
3,892
5,308
The only situation that will p**s me off is if I can buy a better/bigger MacBook Pro for the same price that mine cost within two months of getting it.
You absolutely should wait as long as possible, maybe tide yourself over with a second hand model or something? We’re only at the tip of the iceberg, and a redesign WILL come at some point. New better/bigger models WILL come soon.
 
  • Like
Reactions: turbineseaplane

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
@alexjholland have you considered picking up a used MBP to carry you over for a few months?
Maybe.

I'm in a position where my marketing business blew-up (in a good way) in the second half of 2020.

Business is super-healthy and I can stick any computers on my company card as business expense.

I was on a 2011 MacBook Pro and I want to treat myself.

If I sell this for half of what I paid for it in 12 months time to upgrade to 16", I won't be too upset.

It'd just be annoying if one comes out RIGHT after mine is delivered.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Captain Trips

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
You absolutely should wait as long as possible, maybe tide yourself over with a second hand model or something? We’re only at the tip of the iceberg, and a redesign WILL come at some point. New better/bigger models WILL come soon.
Sounds like even if I buy a model in 3 months... Something REALLY excited could be here in a year?

What % value do you think I could sell an M1 13" for in 12months time?
 

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
1,142
1,336
Honestly, I'd wait.

Based upon what Apples' said about the transition time here, it stands to reason that the remaining parts of the laptop line are "next" -- and no doubt with even more power and M goodness.

I think Spring - Summer at the latest.

We have zero clue on when it’s happening. There have been countless false rumors of imminent product releases the past couple years on the rumor sites. It comes down to if you need it now or not. I don’t subscribe to the perpetual wait for the next hotness when nothing has been announced.

If a larger screen is a must for your workflow than obviously wait.
 

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
15,151
32,595
We have zero clue on when it’s happening. There have been countless false rumors of imminent product releases the past couple years on the rumor sites. It comes down to if you need it now or not. I don’t subscribe to the perpetual wait for the next hotness when nothing has been announced.

If a larger screen is a must for your workflow than obviously wait.

If you don’t think they are going to get all of their laptops on their own chips (Profit!) as soon as possible…

I have a bridge to sell you
 

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
6,144
6,997
FWIW the main MBP models are usually rolled out on a summer release schedule, which might suggest WWDC (June) or even a May/July MacBook Pro event. Now they've done the pre-recorded video events it's certainly easier to do more than a press release where required without needing to go for a full media event which usually happen a max of 4 times a year.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Captain Trips

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
19,314
19,324
I hope not. I want a 16" now, not in Autumn

I just think that the 16” will require much beefier hardware, and that will take some time to put in full production. In fact, I would expect the relevant chips to use the next generation of Apple silicon, due in autumn (A15/M2).
 

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
6,144
6,997
I just think that the 16” will require much beefier hardware, and that will take some time to put in full production. In fact, I would expect the relevant chips to use the next generation of Apple silicon, due in autumn (A15/M2).
I'm assuming the chip differentiation between the 13(14)" and 16" will go away with Apple Silicon. Both will use the M1X (or whatever it is) and it will just be about preferred screen size (and maybe the 16" gets a more powerful graphics option with the graphics chip Apple is working on). It's going to get expensive and complicated making a custom chip for each computer model so grouping them into performance tiers that share a chip as they have done with the M1 machines is a much better idea.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Captain Trips
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.