So, 285 in a 2006 Mac Pro 1,1?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Maury, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Maury macrumors 6502

I'm seeing some conflicting statements: can I put a 285 in my 2006 1,1 mac pro? Mac Edition or injector, either way would be fine.

Maury

2. Syonidism macrumors regular

i'D love to know this as well. However i have little or no hope of achieving this...

BUMP!

3. MacVidCards Suspended

I am typing this now on a 1st Gen Quad running a 285GTX. HOWEVER....this is using Netkas' fine Injector package........AND............currently it appears that a "backup" Nvidia card needs to be in the machine with a working EFI ROM. This has been tested with an 8800GT and a quasi-Quadro 4500, both running an EFI-32 ROM.

In theory we should soon have confirmation that a 7300GT works as well, this will allow for no power splitters needed.

I have every reason to believe that Netkas will hit upon what is needed with injector to obviate need for another Nvidia GPU. So perhaps soon it will be possible to have this work with JUST a PC GTX285.

I have both DVI ports working and both have worked with 30" display and a 2407 on other DVI.

4. Syonidism macrumors regular

Thats great news rominator,

awaiting game benchmarks, when you make benchmarks could you test them with the 4890 1Gb??? im currently split between these two and would love to know their difference.

5. Maury thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the clear answer Rom, that's what I was looking for.

I'll stay tuned for developments.

6. Maury thread starter macrumors 6502

Wait, what about using the official Apple card in the Mac Pro 1,1. Do I need anything at all in that case, or is it just plug-n-play?

If it's plug-n-play I'll just go for it.

7. slicecom macrumors 68020

Pretty sure like all new Nvidia cards, the 285 only comes with EFI64, so it won't work. ATI supports us MacPro 1,1 owners, Nvidia does not, therefore ATI gets my money.